Thread: Sniping Mechanics in Homefront

Sniping Mechanics in Homefront

What do you guys think it’s going to be like, I am actually hoping it'll be a little like Battlefield Bad Company 2 having that bullet drop and seeing your bullet travel to the opposing force's head and I am as well wondering if this will have fully destruction buildings that'll be awesome. Anyone has any idea or has any information about this? If anyone gets any information any idea than, please provide me.

Re: Sniping Mechanics in Homefront

Bullet Drop was great in Battlefield. I don't necessarily agree with damage loss over distance. If I make that crazy shot from some crazy distance, I don't want to be presented with nothing more than a hit marker. Wind drift is taking it a little too far. You can tell their going for decently fast paced game play, and having to sit there and calculate bullet drop, wind speed, and all the other actual sniping mechanics. Just seems a little out of place. Ya never know, though. They could find a way to make it work.

I have hit plenty of people with the M24 without killing them. Headshots always one hit kill, but good luck getting a headshot on a moving target without a zoomed scope (which you don't get until level six so I am at a standstill having to work my way up to it). I just yesterday earned open tip ammunition, maybe that will cause a one hit kill, but the standard ammunition most certainly doesn't. Keep in mind I am not some level 15 game whore who not at all stops playing and has access to all the best equipment.

Well I am not sure what game you are playing, because 90% of the time even when shooting someone in the foot, it's a 1 shot kill. At very long distances it may not kill in 1 shot if you hit a limb, but I haven't tried to test it. I have been using open-tip ammo since I got it, so that could be the case. Gamewhore? The unlock system is very short, and the game came out 2 months ago. I had the Sniper class maxed out in a week or two. No game whoring required. Just point and shoot.

There is one problem with sniping: it may be too easy. With no bullet drop or wind, many sniper rifles can easily do OHK anywhere. I one hit killed someone by shooting his leg with the L96A1 in black ops. Many people don't appreciate snipers. As a sniper, it annoys me that people say sniping takes no skill. If there's not anything to prevent sniping from being a true challenge, it will still be considered cheap. But, of course, it all depends on the map design, most maps have huge open areas, there should be no problem with sniping being very realistic. However, in smaller maps, you can never take your time to think where to shoot for a headshot. Also, in such environments, you have a very short time to zoom in and shoot.

The unlock system is boring and unbalanced. It certainly doesn’t feel short to me. As a sniper, I didn't even have a proper scope until just today (when I hit level seven), just some lame no-zoom scope or red dot sight. So it's a pain in the ass to level up because everyone else has better equipment than I do. It's a grindfest, but worse than an MMO grindfest because at least there you are not doing it against hypercompetitive FPS players who insult you for not being high sufficient level just a couple days after you bought the game. And even with open tip ammo, quite frequently I don't kill in one hit, even at point blank range. It's very rare to see anyone use the sniper class in some servers because high-end upgraded assault rifles seem to be better at everything a sniper should be best at.

I think I figured it out. You play on PC don't you? If you do, I remember seeing all the rumblings of the patch they released for PC, effectively ruining any advantage to being a sniper. This may be the reason we are so differed in opinion. I play on 360, and have controlled entire games with my Sniper Rifle. With a good position, some distance, and some headshots, I have been able to get over 200 kills. Not to toot my own whistle, but it just shows how different the M24 on consoles is (which hasn't seen a patch) than the M24 on PC. Makes sense now.