Thread: Increased Melee Range Perk Confirmed in Homefront

Increased Melee Range Perk Confirmed in Homefront

It’s called "Now that’s a knife", "Increased melee range with faster recovery" This makes me sick to my stomach, and did the Devs forget about what happened in Modern Warfare 2? I just simply can't believe it. I not at all once thought I would ever see increased melee range ever again in my life. I feel truly disappointment, that one of the FPS geme's main faults is being revitalized, in the game I so extremely anticipate. Anyone care to shed their own light on this travesty?

Re: Increased Melee Range Perk Confirmed in Homefront

To be honest commando really pooling me off in Modern Warfare 2 but if it was like that it would be nowhere near as bad due to the fact the combat isn’t always as close quotes as Modern Warfare 2 was, but as I say I think its a quicker knife as opposed to distance. The maps are larger so unless it ups the range to 10meters I am not all that worried because you will be dead before you are close enough to me; this isn’t cod where you can put marathon lightweight commando on and sprint around the whole map in 20 seconds knifing everyone you come across, so chill my friend.

Sure that’s what I tried to tell myself, combine that with the perk that makes you run faster and its lightweight/commando/marathon all over again. I can't find confirmation on whether or not there is a perk that makes you run faster because it’s hard to read the text with all the low res videos out there, but if they have a perk named steady aim then I am sure they got something that makes you a bit faster. I hated perks since Call of Duty 4, whatever happened to the good days of all players are created equal, until I prove I am more skilled than you. Rainbow Six 3 anyone?

I touched on similar concerns before based off my experience. Even though I haven't played with or against this particular ability during the chance I had with deadly and several other media types last month. I can say that unlike Modern Warfare 2 you cannot run through bullets to knife someone, and the default melee attack has virtually no lunge. Now this Ability increases range - maybe a quarter or more than what is already required to successfully melee someone, which upon playing the game I can tell you is pretty darn close. The problems with Commando in Modern Warfare 2 (and its residual problems in Black Ops) are as such: Dramatic increase in range (which due to the franchise's poor network connection system utilizing P2P can heavily influence the potential range). Lock on feature that can create common melee attacks from uncommon angles. Now from what I know there is no "lock-on" element to melee in Homefront. You cannot charge through bullets to knife someone. I have purposely tried this many times and I have died. Homefront will give players a better connection with dedicated servers on all platforms, there is no problematic P2P system here. Many lunge attacks can be affected by such a poor connection feature, but this will not happen. You will not see someone lunge 10 feet at an enemy. Now the developers of both Call of Duty iterations I mentioned have their own particular engine and "flavor" to development.

I wish melee would be 2 hits in the front and one in the back some guy slashing the air next to me because he clicked his thumb stick in desperation as he eats 1 or 2 bullets doesn't sound fun as well, I wonder if this is going to lead to a lot more "ties" like in medal of honor, there's nothing like putting two bullets into a guy’s head and you both die at the same time because he slashed with you in the middle third of his screen.

I am a long time FPS gamer and I simply don't understand this concern here, if you’re that close your initial reaction should be to melee that person if you don't than you’re killed, it really doesn't matter if you shoot your gun. You’re defeating the entire purpose of a melee attack if you’re literally a foot away and shooting at someone - there is no logic in that besides the fact that you chose the wrong action to use in such a situation - you died because of your mistake. Only logical exception if you’re shooting someone that close to you are that you're using a Shotgun which can put someone down in one hit from a closer proximity (game play wise) or you already used melee, missed and are recovering from it. Now that FPS games have become so popular I see a lot of these stupid terms to justify people's deaths.

It's an FPS, first person, shooter, I know shocking that I want to use bullets over melee should be a last resort when your clip is empty to finish a wounded enemy or a stealth tactic when behind someone, there's no need for anyone to have an easy way out when they encounter someone face to face I know shooters rely heavily on your reaction time to do well, but it should be how quick you are on the trigger, not your knife I play shooters mostly on 360 now and the knife is always very forgiving, with the exception of maybe World at War where it was unreliable, I am not saying to make melee useless like they did in that game, but don't give someone the ability to kill you with a single slash just because you are within a 15 degree radius of his crosshair and it locks on to anyone in the area.