Thread: Homefront to use THQ Online Pass feature for console versions

Homefront to use THQ Online Pass feature for console versions

I just heard some news about this, so after seeing that news I just say that, don’t plan on playing multi player for free if you rent/buy this game used. People who rent or buy used will have to pay an extra $10 to unlock the MP feature of the game. You beat me to the punch, (Damn Microsoft CES stream is making my laptop lag considerably). This wedged for those who plan on renting anywhere or receiving it via Gamefly at later dates. I always planned to buy it new so I'm okay with this decision, not sure if it's the best for the rest of the gamers out there with less enthusiastic interest.

Re: Homefront to use THQ Online Pass feature for console versions

I wasn't planning to buy a used copy, but I do get a lot of my games second hand so I am annoyed on principle. I can't afford to shell out $ 64 to $ 80 for every game. And more and more publishers are trying to cut down on used game sales. It actually hurts their profit more than pirates because a used game purchaser actually wants to purchase the game. There's a reason why more and more publishers are going digital and adding these "VIP Codes/Online Passes/Club Codes".

Blame GameStop, the scourge of the console game industry. GameStop’s focus on used games hurts the bottom line of the developers. Not that I understand why anyone remotely intelligent would sell their games to GameStop. When I was looking to sell my PS3 to pay for books, GameStop offered me 90 dollars for it. The version I had was 350 on their website. What kind of moron would agree to that?

Well this isn’t KAOS' fault at all. This is THQ does this with almost all games that become big with a multiplayer, because they are greedy bastards. I had UFC2010 preordered and got the code for the stupid "$10 online play" That games online servers annoying. Every game was filled to the brim with lag. At least if we have to pay, make the servers better. If the servers are like Frontlines: Fuel of War I will be fine with that, I just don’t want them to be cheap as servers people have to pay for.

Personally I hate this kind of crap. I usually buy two copies of the game, one for myself and one for my friend, but there is the occasional game that I buy for myself and let him play so he can decide if he wants to play it. I guess he can still play to level 5 - but still, I just hate this concept. Is the online pass per the PS3 unit or per the user? Sometimes I like to be able to play my game on the two PS3's we have in the household. I usually end up on the smaller LCD unit, but when my husband is away (or not watching hockey or gaming online with me) my obvious preference is to use the other PS3 with the bigger HDTV and surround sound set up.

If you rent the game first at least you can still get online and rank to level 5 that should be plenty of time to figure out if you want to buy it! EA on the other hand really put the pole to renters, if you rent Battlefield Bad Company 2 you have to pay for the VIP pass just to try multiplayer so $15.00 for something you may not want! Getting the game used, you're already getting a significant reduction in price, and you get to try the game out, if you like it, you will probably still pay less for it used than you would new, unless GameStop is really blowing their customers' wallets nowadays.