Thread: Question regarding HomeFront Competitive Side

Question regarding HomeFront Competitive Side

I've noticed that at DE, they have mentioned support of tournaments, which is why the Demo system was added, but I'm curious how the developers feel the game should be played? What I mean by this is BF2's main competitive side was 8v8 conquest; CoD is 5v5 Search and Destroy. So does DE have any idea how they think the game will be played competitively (Team sizes etc)? Is there a competitive game mode with smaller maps that has not yet been announced? I'm really curious to know what ideas DE have when it comes to playing HomeFront competitively, because it’s been a LONG time since a game with vehicles has been played competitively over a long period of time (BF2 was the last decent game with vehicles that lasted ages competitively, BC2 has already failed).

Re: Question regarding HomeFront Competitive Side

True that, BC2 failed competitively the moment it had no demo feature. I find it appalling leagues actually run games they can't have admins spectator in, breeds cheating. 6 vs. 6 and 8 vs. 8 seem like the bare minimum to run vehicles with. The devs need to sit done and really ask themselves if the game it well balanced. IW fed the cod community the same carp that perks where balanced and would work in competitive play. We had to mod them out they were so woefully balanced, which would be my concern with the buy system.

Mostly devs these days are quite literally clueless about competitive play. Even those teams with former PC competitive players tend to be the ones who never played anything of any significance, thus competitive play is put on the side lines. I wish more companies took blizzards stance and actually grasped the competitive community, the extentision on the life of a game competitive play offers is well worth the effort. CS and Quake and prime examples of this effort. I don’t think we can expect anything other than amazing "clan" support, with AMAZING things like clan tags. Maybe we can even get GASP a in game leader board with does nothing to enhance the competitive environment. I think the highlight of this competitive experience might be a once off tournament like what they did for their previous FPS, in conjunction with TGL.

Well perhaps a tournament company will take up the reigns, such as CAL or TWL. Either way, the Dev's are busy doing what they're doing: developing. I'm sure they will respond when they can. It's good to keep discussion going though. To that end I don't think gamers can keep comparing new games to old opportunity. Sure, things that worked from the past can be incorporated, but the nature of online PC gaming has changed drastically in the last decade, and new approaches need to be taken. What are some features that people would like to see to support competition? Some competitive match setups that have worked well elsewhere are 4v4 Infantry Only, 8v8 Standard Warfare and 12v12 standard warfare. An active touring ladder tier to show the ranking of each clan would be sweet; go to the website to see where the clan stands and you can challenge that way. Perhaps in the same way that HomeFront has teamed up with Steam, they could investigate with TWL and CAL to see if something could be sub-contracted to integrate game-support with reputable competitive ladders? That way the community benefits two-fold. Since TWL, at least, does the ladders anyways as a 3rd party, it's not like it would cost the HF Dev Team much to implement, either, other than a little bit of time from already-hired staffers.

The biggest problem with devs today is that they all able there multiplayer as being competitive, reason being it has an in game ladder. However competitive this is not, in game ladders no matter how often they are reset reward time played over whom you play and how you play. Similar to player who think if they have a astounding k/d ratio that they are an amazing player. Sadly to report to you CAL, NA larget online league died off 2 years ago when CPL went under. This is the biggest reason competitive gaming in NA for the PC is utter crap compared to what it was 4 years ago. If Thew Company partnered directly with a league like CEVO to run different tiered tournament that would be absolutely mint? When i mean different tiers I’m referring to an open, main, and invite division to separate teams based on previous season performance so that the same 4 teams don't dominate every season.

Happy to report that in August 2010, WoLong Ventures acquired all of the assets of the previous owners, NewWorld. I don't know about CAL, but the CPL is certainly rebuilding operations with leagues in WoW, SC2 the MLG and ESL tourist are running this season and they are trying to revive what they call "the sports dream." partnerships would be awesome and should be actively perused by the Dev's. It shouldn't be us vs. them. It should be us and them, working together to provide something that generates thousands of dollars in revenue and brings proven entertainment to an industry of skeptical gamers.