Thread: Reloading Animations in Homefront

Reloading Animations in Homefront

While I see the trailer and demo of Homefront game I like this game. But here I just wish the 2 reload actions are there, bad sufficient 3rd person vehicle cut back was made. Even I saw this to my other friends and there replies are similar. Anyone here has the same reply or any other idea or any other thoughts about this? If anyone has any idea or any thoughts or any information about this than please just let me know.

Re: Reloading Animations in Homefront

I have not seen this done any other game so would it surprise me if it did not make it into Homefront, no. I have always wondered though why if you reload mid mag, why you still “cock" the weapon, either by pulling the charging handle, or pulling the slide back. Either I always laugh at the animation. One of my friends told me that: “If you have watched the leaked chapter 1 video, the player pulled the charging handle every time he reloaded with the T3AK, but in the video I posted. In the video I posted, the first reload with the M16, the player pressed the bolt release, but the second reload he didn't. This is pretty confusing.”

As long as the reload animations are accurate. I just saw the Battlefield 3 game play preview and the reload animation was wrong, you don't require pulling the charging switch every time you reload, only on your first clip if the bolt isn't locked back. All you need to do is slap in a new clip and hit the bolt release and bam good to go (if the clip is emptied)! Lack of attention to detail gets under my skin. And yes most semi auto assault rifles/pistols work this way, there are exceptions but not many. The principle is essentially the same in their designs.

I was wondering about the reload animation. Is that realistic if you empty the magazine, do you have to watch the animation where you draw the handle or press charges the recipient? And if you do not drain all the magazines, if you do not do what is mentioned above? And while I ask this to my friend she told me: “Honestly I really do not care about what drives the total time of animation, but it will be kind of cool that if you lose your reloaded mid clip of bullets, just thoughts.”

Maybe it couldn't be done in their game, or they didn't want to spend the RAM on something as insignificant as a reload animation. Call of Duty can squeeze more little features like this in because of small play space, and just the fact that really isn't a lot going on. A large scale warfare game like Battlefield on the other hand usually has to be very picky on where they use their assets. Even I have seen plenty of games have separate reloads for empty vs. partial clip. It isn't just an aesthetic detail, not having to cock your weapon every time would give you a split second advantage. Far Cry 2 for example even had "fairly" realistic unjamming animations for guns, which in that case is just icing, but it’s nice when developers that make a game involving guns do a little research on said guns.

Doesn't mean they didn't do their research. There could have been a time when they had to say "It's either the added reload animation, or the pop up that lets you know when you have ranked up in-game." Just an example, and May not be the case at all, but videogame development is all about compromise. Well, to me at least reloading is something you will have to do, but it's not fun since it leaves you hanging while the character reloads. Worst case scenario you will have "active reload" like in Gears of war, an enemy rushes to you and the weapon locks up for another glorious 10 seconds. I am fine with one animation, as long as it's a nice seeped, not to fast but not to slow either.