Thread: Playing DC Universe Online using TCP or UDP?

Playing DC Universe Online using TCP or UDP?

Hello friends. I have been playing this game DC Universe Online recently and i got a long internet bill. Playing DC Universe Online using TCP or UDP? Playing using TCP will reduce my traffic usage or UDP will do it? I have a limited bandwidth plan and i dont want to exceed the limits. The rates after exceeding the limit is too high! Please help me guys. Also is there any game patches which will let me reduce internet usage when i'm playing online? Or may be any third party applications or softwares which can help? I will get an unlimited plan soon, but till then i need some work around

Re: Playing DC Universe Online using TCP or UDP?

I was wondering, if I have to tweak my system to create a good online gaming environment rather then good download speed. Does online game playing for suppose one are will consume same amount of bandwidth which downling a file takes place? I always thought that it is very different when playing a game online which will send and receive very less amount of data packets rather then i'm downloading a large data file. Is there a large bandwidth consumption? Please help! Even i have a limited data plan and i don't know if i'm exceeding the limits.

Usually online games do not consume more data then downloading a file. Say if you are downloading a file which takes 1 hour to download, the size of the file will be larger then the data consumed by playing an online game for 1 hour. As Downloading may consume all the bandwidth but game plays do not consume much data. Also it all depends on which game you play. Games with high graphics and lot of scene and texture consumes lot of data as all the details must be registered on the server which in turn reflects ur status on other player's computers. In my opinion FPS games consume more data then other online games. So the best option is to switch to unlimited data plans if you are a game addict and play more of online games.

Well, playing online games do consume a large amount of data. I believe this because online games need to update the server which in turn updates other players about your in game position. This has to be almost instantly so that it can reflect to other players and to the server in real time. Most of the FPS games need this and if packet loss occurs, the game experience is spoiled as it becomes laggy and spikes are caused. Best option to avoid all these and above mentioned problem, switch to unlimited plans. In india MTNL proves game based unlimited plans which may provide you with a more reliable connection in real time low ping. But then your download speeds are some how managed by them and you do not get high download speeds.