I was considering set up a home server based on Linux. The following requirements must be met:
- SMB data grave -> Media Server, Backup, etc. Centralized mail management -> ext. Mail check, fetch, available internally (postfix)
- Domain servers / management -> user accounts, home directories, LDAP
- Gbit / s network connection
- RAID-5 (SW raid also okay)
- 24 / 7 operation -> low power consumption, space requirements and noise levels
To the machine, two XP workstations and a Vista workstation hung. This may come Linux machines (notebooks), via DHCP. Now the big question of the hardware. 2GB RAM, 3x 1TB HDD (5400rpm), onboard graphics are clear. More important is the question on the CPU / board, in this case an AMD cluster or a nuclear cluster. Price they are somewhat on the same. What would you buy it and why? XEN is the nuclear-capable, or considers it totally in the knees? I would shut overclock an Athlon 64 1.6 GHz, and accordingly, unless the Board permits.