Thread: External Hard Drive Unable to Register in Xbox 360

External Hard Drive Unable to Register in Xbox 360

Hi friends, I am the big fan of Xbox 360 games. The problem is that I am unable to connect the external hard drive to my Xbox 360. I have two external hard drives full of the large number of contents in it. The one of the hard drive works fine but the other hard drive it does not detect. I would like to connect the other hard drive to my Xbox 360. How could I do this? What can be the reason behind it? Is there any solution for it? I came to know about the codec application, that it can make it accessible. But I am not very confirm of that. What can I do now? How could I make it accessible?

Re: External Hard Drive Unable to Register in Xbox 360

I think the reason behind it is that, most of the 2.5” external hard drives gain power with the help of USB port to power the drive. Some of the external drives may gain power to run, beyond what the one USB port can provide or the same could be used for the hard drive. Initial amount of power is greater than that of the external box or the USB port can provide. The most of the problem arises up with the drive having the size larger than 100GB. Where this hard drive requires little bit more than that of the 500mA to spin up or to run. To get rid you have the two options first get yourself 2USB to 1 USB cable, where you can plug the two USB connectors into your Xbox 360 to gain around 500mA from each of the ports and plug one USB in to the box. Or the other option is if your Xbox supports it then you can have the external 500mA (5 volt) power supply.

The one issue is that, I am not sure if Microsoft has changed it yes that, the hard drive has to be formatted in FAT or FAT32 and not in any of the other file system. As much as know that Xbox 360 does not support hard drives that are formatted in the NTFS file system. Check out that your hard drive is not being formatted in the NTFS file system. This might help you from your problem.

I think your hard disk has to be formatted in a FAT 32 file system. Mostly the large files and the new Hard disk are usually formatted in the NTFS file system. Therefore it won’t be recognize in Xbox 360 or the play station. My suggestion to you is to take all the data and reformat it in the FAT32 and then move back data on to the hard drive. To reformat just plug your hard drive in to the computer and format it. Note that FAT32 cannot have the file larger than that of the 4GB on the drive. Be sure that if you format that none of the file should be over 4GB.

If you have installed Xbox 360 update for your 360 then the update might have done with your system where as your hard drive is out of the date. If you restart your system now then install the update for the external hard drive. install and update your hard drive first then try to connect it. that is why the Xbox is unable to read the second drive.

Many times the Xbox 360 can only see HFS or the HFS+. But I am not sure that it is there by default or not. Xbox 360 and play stations does not support the NTFS file system. For the WD password, most of the branded portable devices are formatted by default to FAT32 file system in order to make them more compatible with the other operating system that might be used out of the box. If you format the drive In the Windows XP or Windows Vista, both of this operating system will redo the partition in the NTFS file system. To get the FAT32 make use of the 3rd party utility. This will help you.