Thread: Games for Windows Live Marketplace Error

Games for Windows Live Marketplace Error

One of my friend recently gave me his GEARS OF WAR for Windows and therefore I picked up the Marketplace to have some fun but it keeps giving me an error message which is listed below:

Connection error

Can't start the program. There may be a problem with your Internet
    Connection or the LIVE service

Open Internet Explorer and try to open a Web page. If you can't
    contact your ISP. If you can browse the Internet, you can find more
    help in the Internet connection problems help file.

I have already disabled the firewall but still it wont start the program, can anyone help me out. Thanks

Re: Games for Windows Live Marketplace Error

Could you please tell us first what region / Language is your LIVE account setup for? Are you able to see anything if you try to access the below url in internet explorer, if you are not then check your proxy, firewall, anti-virus, and anti-spyware settings.

https://marketplace.gamesforwindows....etClientConfig

I can only assume that if LIVE is not able to launch the marketplace, then your installation isn't quite right. Try to completely remove it from your machine and then starting over again. First go to add/remove programs, remove Microsoft Games for Windows - LIVE and Microsoft Games for Windows - LIVE redistributable. After it is done, verify that c:\windows\system32 does not contain xlive.dll, xlive.dll.cat, xlivefnt.dll, or the xlive subdirectory, if it does, then delete them manually. After that delete the C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games for Windows - LIVE directory and also delete the %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\GFWLive directory.
    Back up this registry key first by exporting it: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Software\Microsoft\XLive
    Using regedit, delete the registry value HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Software\Microsoft\XLive\DashDir and restart your pc. Download the client again from http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9640147

You can try to apply the GEARS OF WAR FOR WINDOWS UPDATE which is now available, download it from here. This update fixes an expired digital signatures issue that prevents all earlier versions of the game from launching. This is a required update. Please download and install the update before launching the game.