Thread: Unable to Install PoP: Sands of time

Unable to Install PoP: Sands of time

Hi, am having some strange problem with Prince of Persia: Sands of Time. I know its time for the Forgotten Sands but I wanna play the game from little earlier hence I was trying to install Sands of time but when I run the installation, at some point it asks me for the username and password to go on. I don’t know which username and pass. But anyways, to get rid of it I created an account at Ubisoft and fortunately that worked.

After entering the same, at the next point it stopped again and saying me that I must be an American in order to play this title. Isn’t it strange? What is it all about? Could you guys please help me out of this ?

Re: Unable to Install PoP: Sands of time

Am aware of this problem as I have had faced this issue before.. Also observed the same problem with many users and the cause for this issue was the same.. If am not wrong you have downloaded the game from gamershell, right? If yes forget about it. It’s not going to work. After I searching lot for this issue I found a statement on the gamershell forums that this game was just a piece of a ‘promotional campaign’, and it is by now over. Therefore you game will not run anymore. You need to download or buy a new copy from Ubisoft or anywhere else.

I think this is the right place to ask the following query. I am having a Windows Xp system on which am facing some similar problem while install PoP: Sands of time. Fortunately am not facing the above problem because i have had bought this directly from Ubisoft. But When i start installing the game, it go down until 35 to 40% and stops there. After few seconds it gives an error message stating "The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error".

I dont have any idea about this ? Could you guys help me to get rid of this ? Thanks for all your helps.

This error is related to the Windows Xp operating system and not with the game. According to Microsoft, this error message point out a difficulty while attempting to read or write to a device, like Hard drive, CD drive or network drive. This problem may take place for any of the following reasons:
    • Windows is trying to use a transfer mode that the CD drive cannot use.
    • The hardware that you are trying to access is damaged or failing.
    • The device drivers for the hardware are faulty or incompatible.
    • There is a connection problem, such as a bad cable.
    • The CD that you are trying to access is damaged.

To fix it out ensure that the cable between the drive and the computer is functioning properly incase the CD drive is an exterior drive, like USB device. If the cable stops working your drive will not work as it should be. Try to replace it.

If there is more than one CD drive available on your system than try to install game from any another CD drive. If you have only one CD drive than you can copy the entire content (better make an image)of the CD on any partition and try to install from there. Hope it should work. But am not sure about Ubisoft games.. Anyways, try and do reply the result.

"If the transfer mode for the CD drive was changed or is incorrect, Windows cannot transfer data from the CD to the computer. You can resolve this issue by changing to the correct transfer mode. To change the transfer mode, follow these steps:
    • Click Start, and then click Run.
    • Type devmgmt.msc in the Open box, and then press ENTER.
    • The Device Manager dialog box opens.
    • Expand IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers. A subset will open, listing the different IDE ATA/ATAPI channels for the computer.
    • Right-click the channel where the CD drive is connected, and then click Properties. Typically, this channel is Secondary IDE Channel.
    • Warning Do not change the Primary IDE Channel, Device 0, because this is typically the system disk. Changing this transfer mode setting may cause the computer to operate incorrectly or not at all.
    • On the Advanced Settings tab, select PIO Only in the Transfer Mode box for the device that represents the CD drive. Typically, this is Device 0. Then, click OK.
    • Test the CD in the CD drive.

If the issue is not resolved after you change the transfer mode for the secondary IDE channel device 0, the CD drive may not be located there. Use the same procedure to change the transfer mode back to DMA if available. Then, repeat steps 1-6 to change the transfer mode for IDE devices ."