Thread: How to change the download directory of Steam?

How to change the download directory of Steam?

Recently I have downloaded the Steam for my Mac OS X, but I am facing a small problem with that, I do not really have larger amount of space for installing the game for the boot volume. Is it possible for selecting a different drive for installing the game? Hence I want to change the download directory of Steam. Any related reply will be appreciated.

Re: How to change the download directory of Steam?

If you have found the place where it is storing the files, then you must be able to will able to move the file the other drive or you can drop the alias at the original position. I have not used the steam client for my Mac OS X but I know there is an easier way to change the install location in the preference settings. I hope this will help you.

I have discovered the solution for this problem, it looks that Steam saves the game in the “Seam Content” that is placed somewhere in document. I tried to change the place of the folder and then create the alias but the Steam is giving an error message on the startup. Then I tried a Symlink in that place and it worked for me. I will suggest you to the same.

Good man, using the symbolic works well it is a nice thought. But I would be better if there is an option in the preferences for the changing the location for the steam content folder. According to me that would be a much better option, I think that this option has been oversight, but they must provide the option for this functionality.

Steam and the complete library of the games from the VALVE that is not including the third party games, it must only use less than twenty one gigabytes of space. But at the time you start to play counter strike or fortress online your drive will definitely fill up with the changing contents from the multiplayer server. I am saying this because I have seen that playing counter strike grows more than forty nine gigabyte in size.
    With great power comes great responsibility - Spiderman's Uncle

The Greatest Sig Ever

Normally on the iMac’s bootcamp install it keep all the big single player games on the external drive and the multiplayer ones that is required as fast load times as probable on the main drive. If this is similar to the windows version you can use the similar method for the selectively keep the game where ever you desire.