Thread: Black screen on startup Mass effect 2 has stopped working

Black screen on startup Mass effect 2 has stopped working

Hi,
    I have a Windows 7 PC with Quad CPU Q9450 @ 2.66Ghz and 4GB RAM support. I have a Nvidia 9800 GX2 video card support with Direct X 10 support. I had installed Mass Effect 2 on my PC which worked fine for some months. After a while I installed a Windows update which result in frequent crash of the game. When I launch the game it shows up black screen on startup. There is no cinematic and menu load up now.

Re: Black screen on startup Mass effect 2 has stopped working

It is might be due to drivers. Download the latest version of drivers from the Nvidia Site and then run a update. After that you can try to re-install the game and checkout the display settings from the configuration menu. I had tried the same which works well now and there is no further issue right now. I had added the new DLC for the game which works well.

It seems that you Direct version is outdate. Mass Effect 2 is a Direct X 9 supportive game but here for this it is necessary that the latest version must me installed. If you have Windows 7 then you will need Direct X 11 on your system instead of Direct X 10. Just update the same and then try to run the game again. You can configure a bit settings from the DXdiag service.

I too had a similar issue where my game stopped working and started giving out blank screen. I had searched on multiple forums for the solution but not found anything. After re-installation and fresh drivers update for my PC the game works now. I am playing the same on multiplayer mode where it works without error. But on the same hand it freezes sometimes.

It is mainly a video error where the game engine fails to provide high end graphic output. It can be due to old drivers, bad video files or non supported resolutions for your monitor. You can first try to set the display settings for the same from the settings tab. Try to use the least resolution first and then test which is best suitable for your monitor.

You can run a repair procedure from the game cd and see weather this works. The installation CD of Mass Effect 2 offers you a repair option where you can fix the old bugs and glitches. In the same manner try to search for recent patches for the game. Install them and try back. A fresh installation of game will be of great help, as some files might be modified by any third part tool.