Thread: Is Wimax good for gaming

Is Wimax good for gaming

Sup gamers, I have been playing games on LAN for a while now. I play Counter Strike and Warcraft III mostly. As now a days I have less time to go to gaming parlor, I was thinking of playing the games online from home and therefore I want know Is Wimax good for gaming as I am planning to buy Reliance Wimax connection. Any suggestions about the topic are more than welcome. Thanks in advance. For additional information, the Internet connection will be connected to a desktop computer which is running on Windows XP operating system.

Re: Is Wimax good for gaming

When it comes to gaming, I would prefer a wired connection over the wireless connection. Wired connection is more stable and hence while gaming it is more useful. Online gaming involves lot of exchange of data and hence requires greater transfer speed which is easily available in Wired communication. Also wired connection will be cheaper than the wireless connection and hence I would suggest Wired connection over wireless connection.

The performance of Wimax connection depends on the availability of the data servers and the number of users in your locality. If there are lot of users in your area then the performance of the Wimax connection will not be good as the data servers will be occupied and will take lot of time to respond. Therefore before buying any connection, check the performance of the connection in the area which you are living.

The issue in using a Wireless connection is that the you cannot login to the account sometimes if the data servers are full. There are limited number of data servers for a particular area. If the data servers are running on full capacity then it will not accept any new connection to it and hence you will not be able to access your internet account which is not a problem if you are using a wired connection. Hence having a wired connection for gaming is a good idea.

Wimax is definitely not a good choice if you want a net connection for gaming purposes. Wireless internet works on half duplex mode which means only 1 equipment can transmit at a time. In gaming there is continuous transfer of data required which is not possible in half duplex mode. Hence if the Wireless connection is used for playing games then the user will get high latency while playing games which is not desired while playing. For online gaming, using a wired connection is a best choice.