Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need for speed underground 2 not working on Windows 7

Need for speed underground 2 not working on Windows 7

Hi to all gamers, I have recently upgraded my computer and I am facing some problems while playing certain games. The current configuration of the computer is Intel Quad core processor @3ghz with 2gb RAM and has a Nvidia 8900GT graphic card. The operating system on the computer is Windows 7. On this computer I have installed Need for speed underground 2 but the game is not working. When the game is started, the main menu of the game is displayed and then the game quits on its own. So I want to know why Need for speed underground 2 is not working on Windows 7 and if anybody can suggest any solutions then it would be great. Thanks.

Re: Need for speed underground 2 not working on Windows 7

Need for speed underground 2 is a very old game and I dont think that Windows 7 will support the game. If the operating system does not supports the game then the game will either not work at all or will give some problems while running. The list of all the games which are supported by the Windows 7 is available on the official website of Microsoft. Check the list and see if the game is supported by the operating system. If the game is not supported then there is nothing much you can do about it.

All the operating systems which are released after Windows XP have compatibility mode. In compatibility mode all the applications which used to run properly on the earlier versions of Windows can be successfully used on the New version of the operating system. To start the game in compatibility mode, Right click on the game icon and then select properties. Go to compatibility tab and check mark the option which says "Run the application in compatibility mode" and select the operating system as Windows Xp. Save and apply the settings. Start the game and see if it works.

Many people face problems while playing older games on the latest computers. This is because of the multicore processors which are used in the latest computers. Multicore processors start processing single application together which may create problems while executing some old games. The solution to this problem is to disable extra cores while the game is running. To disable the extra cores, start the game and open the task manager. Go to processes tab and then right click on Speed2.exe and select set affinity. Remove all the extra cores and click on OK. Now resume the game and see if it is working.

As the game which you are trying to play is very old, it will not run on th default settings of the Nvidia graphic card. All the latest Nvidia graphic cards have pre configured settings which are useful in running high end graphics application. These settings may create problems while playing old games. Therefore you will have to configure the graphic settings of the Nvidia card and then check if the game is working. Open the graphic settings and disable the following graphic properties which you will find inside Manage 3D settings.
    1. Triple buffering
    2. Vertical sync
    3. Anistropic filtering
    After disabling these settings, save the settings and see if the game is working properly.

hye all,,,My frend had the same error but i fix it on windows 7 (64x) system with dual core processor(two procesoorsare active....-----
    after installing the game ( need for speed underground 2) run it with the original cd,open the task maneger,search speed.exe in processes and press right mouse-set affinity, if a error shows up reapet it and end process(speed.exe)
    finish and you can play it,,,,sorry my engels
    ihave a video on youtube and i show that i run nfs underground on my win 7 64 for test.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2gCUJHGoR8

Try to install the game under compatible mode and then check out for the result. I hope this may work well for you. All you need to do is to right click on the installer.exe file and then install the application under compatibility mode for Windows Xp. As it is been one you may then need to restart the system and check out.

Underground 1 is compatible, so is Most Wanted, but 2 is not. Always check compatibility on MS site. I nearly restarted after an install of Toca Racer Driver3; doing so would have crashed the OS (the security systems on some software are malware to win7).
    You can't run incompatible games in win7 in XP/Vista mode unless you have better than Premium.
    Bad luck for anyone who isn't aware of the security clash with win7 boot - with TRD3 at least.

I checked my self on Microsoft Website. It shows that this games is not compatible with Windows 7. I had provided you the link below which gives you more detailed information on the same. You can also look for compatibility of more games. Some the games which I know is Rail Stimulator, Mission Runaway, Need for Speed High Stakes, Crash day, etc. I am not sure how to run those games but before installing do check the compatibility of the same.

Need for Speed Underground 2 Compatibility

It's no shame that NFSU2 is incompatible (Most Wanted is better, anyway) but my post wasn't just about one game being incompatible with win7 (a rough guess: 20-40% of games ported to PC are currently incompatible with this OS, so bookmark the Microsoft compatibility page when thinking of a game you'd like).
    My alert concerned one game in particular - Toca Race Driver3 - that will crash your OS, requiring a system restore, after restart. I was checking for controller compat. when I found this site, while installing, and went straight to uninstall after reading about Codemasters' Starfox(?) securty system crashing win7.
    And I thought win7 was just 'Vista mark II'. They're fundamentally quite different, in fact.

OMFG Re: Need for speed underground 2 not working on Windows 7

I own a newer system and am about to purchase Need for Speed Underground 2 from Amazon only to come here and other places to hear it won't work right out of the box on my computer, and yet, I am left confused because the game demo works on this Windows 7 64-bit computer, so why wouldn't the entire game?

If it doesn't work, I at least have this forum bookmarked to hopefully get it going. I also noticed the game seems to have the least support from EA, while for my kid anyway, it's his favorite demo because of the great graphics when totally maxed out to the limit and things like distant fog/all fog removed, etc, and he likes the songs lol.

If you go on Windows 7 Compatibility Center then you will find that, Need for Speed Underground 2 does not support Windows 7. It does not work for Windows 32 bit and Windows 7 64 bit. For such game Windows XP 32 bit is the most compatible version. You can try running the game on compatibility mode. For that right click on the game icon and go to Compatibility tab. In that choose Windows XP and reboot your system. Then check back again.

Quote Originally Posted by Adonis View Post
    If you go on Windows 7 Compatibility Center...
    You can try running the game on compatibility mode...
    Yeah, I've seen that advice above many times, that doesn't answer my question as to why the NFS:U2 game demo works on my Win 7 64-bit, yet supposedly the game itself wouldn't work. As a sidenote, the compatability mode didn't work at all yesterday after I bought NFS Carbon (from direct2drive), and I went thru every single compatability mode and the game still crashed immediately upon start. Oh, and all of you saying to use to Microsoft Compatibility Center, well, even they sometimes get it wrong as with Carbon, they say it is compatible with Windows 7, yet I've tried everything, and it certainly is not compatible as yet. What's interesting there is that the Microsoft page is telling me that NFS:U2 won't work, yet it does, and that Carbon would work, yet it doesn't.

So, as usual, what we have here is some confusion all around with what works, what doesn't, and what fixes might work, yet at the end of the day, it almost seems it doesn't matter what your operating system is, per se, as games may or may not work depending on many *other* factors specific to each of our rigs. In other words, you might have something on your system that I don't, perhaps a certain driver, which makes your game ultimately work using compatability mode, while the same trick won't work on my system because I don't have that specific driver. Perhaps whenever anyone states how they got a game to work, they could also list which card you have, what drivers, if you turned cores off, etc.
    Last edited by Underground2onWin7; 10-01-2011 at 11:22 PM.

Post Re: Need for speed underground 2 not working on Windows 7

I don't care what system specs you have, this game (not as good as Most Wanted anyway, so enough already) and others don't work because it isn't compatible with the graphics drivers in the OS Unless you have better than 7 Premium, there's not a heck of a lot you can do about it, and I doubt the virtual OS (XP, etc) there would work either. If you check the win compatibility site, sometimes it will actually tell you which games (32 and 64) have been advised by the dev/pub as compat or no (don't try and tell MS - they won't listen even if you ID yourself as an IT pro).

Quote Originally Posted by gigahurt View Post
    I don't care...
    Well good, because I just received my copy of the game from Amazon, and it works right out of the box, so I'd suggest you do care about what I've said:

1. You cannot always trust the Microsoft Compatability website
    2. Try downloading the NFS:U2 demo on your Win 7 system first.
    3. Install game.
    4. Have Fun! :

I would still theorize it may not work for some, due to specific things like drivers, running dual-core or not, etc.
    I'm using the latest Nvidia 260.99 driver for my GTX260 Nvidia Card, dual-cores on. NO COMPATABILITY settings.

Hope this helps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast