Thread: Unable to initialize directx in Warcraft 3

Unable to initialize directx in Warcraft 3

Hello people, I have a desktop computer which is installed with Windows Vista operating system. Recently I have installed Warcraft III on the computer but I am not able to play the game. Whenever I start the game, the system gives an error saying,Unable to initialize directx in Warcraft 3. I have Nvidia graphic card installed on the computer and still I am getting such error which is not making any sense to me. So please help me in solving this issue.

Re: Unable to initialize directx in Warcraft 3

Windows Vista does not support all the games which are supported by Windows Xp operating system. If the operating system does not support the application then the application will either not run properly or will not run at all. The list of the games which are supported Windows Vista operating system is available on the official website. Check the list and see if the game which you are trying to play is supported by Windows Vista. If the game is not supported by the operating system then there is nothing much you can do about it.

I think the problem is with the version of the game which is installed on the computer. All the applications which are installed on the computer have lot of files which are associated to it. If any of the files which are associated to the application get corrupt then the application will not work properly. The only way to solve such problem is to replace the files which are corrupt. Once the files which are corrupt are replaced, you will not face such problem. Uninstall the game and then remove all the keys/files which are related to the game. Once all the traces of the application are removed from the computer, reinstall the game and then see if the game gives same error or not.

All the versions of the Windows operating system released later to Windows Xp have compatibility mode. Compatibility mode is used to run the applications which used to run properly in earlier versions of Windows. Therefore try running the game in compatibility mode and see if the game works properly or not. To run the game in compatibility mode, right click on game icon and select properties. Go to compatibility tab and select "Run the application in compatibility mode" and select Windows XP. Click on OK and then start the game. Hopefully it will run properly.

The computer which you are using has a Nvidia graphic card. All the Nvidia graphic card are preconfigured to run all the graphics editing software's. This settings sometimes conflict while playing some games. Therefore to run such games, the graphic card has to be configured again according to the settings of the game. After configuring the graphic card, you will be able to run the game again. To configure the graphic card again, go to graphic properties and the click on Manage settings. Click on Triple buffering and select force off. Click on Anistropic filtering and select force off. Click on Vertical sync and select force off. Save and apply the settings. See if the game is working properly or not.
    With great power comes great responsibility - Spiderman's Uncle

The Greatest Sig Ever

By looking at the error, I can say that the direct x which is installed on your computer is not up to date and hence the game is not able to start. Warcraft 3 requires Direct x 8.0 or later to run smoothly. If the Direct X version which is installed on the computer is lower than 8.0 then the game will not work. To check the version of Direct X which is installed on the computer, Click on start menu and select Run. Type "dxdiag" in the run tab and hit enter. Now check the version installed Direct X and if the version is lower than 8.0 then update the Direct x version and try to run the game. Once the version of Direct x is updated, the game will run without any problems.