Thread: Computer freezes while playing Counter Strike and Warcraft III

Computer freezes while playing Counter Strike and Warcraft III

Hello there, I have a computer which is running on Windows XP operating system. I am facing a very annoying problem with my computer while playing different games. Whenever I try to play Counter Strike or Warcraft III, the computer will get stuck for about minute and then it will resume to normal state again. The configuration of my rig is Intel dual core processor with 1gb ram and a Nvidia graphic card. According to me the configuration is quite good for running the games like Warcraft but still the I cant understand why the Computer freezes while playing Counter Strike and Warcraft III. Any suggestions regarding the topic are welcome. Thanks in advance.

Re: Computer freezes while playing Counter Strike and Warcraft III

It is possible that the versions of the game installed on the computer are corrupt due to which the computer is getting stuck while playing. All the applications have lot of files which are associated to it. If any of the files which is associated to the application gets corrupt then the application will not run properly. To solve this problem you will have to remove the installed applications and then reinstall them again. Uninstall both the games and remove all the files and keys related to the applications from the computer. Once all the traces of the application are removed from the computer, then install both the games and see if the computer freezes or not.

All the Nvidia graphic cards have preconfigured settings. This settings are appropriate for running high end graphics editing software's and tend to create problems while gaming. Therefore the graphic cards has to be configured again so that all the games run smoothly. To configure the graphic card for running counter strike and Warcraft, go to the graphic properties and select Manage 3D settings. Now locate and highlight Anistropic filtering and select force off. Highlight Triple Buffering and select force off. Highlight Vertical Sync and select force off. Now save and apply the settings. Now try and run the game, there would be no intermittent freezing of the computer.

Gaming applications like Counter strike and Warcraft III need lot of memory and CPU usage to run the game smoothly. Therefore if there any other processes running while playing the game then the game would not run smoothly on the computer. Before starting the game terminate all the processes which are running in background. To terminate all the processes, press CTRL, ALT and delete and select Task manager. Go to the processes tab and terminate all the processes which are useless and taking up lot of memory and CPU usage. Once done try and run the games and see if there is any improvement.

Dual core processors are not typically meant for gaming. Dual core processors have two processors which are out of sync. Therefore whenever any process of the application is executed, both the processors start processing the application together which creates problems while executing gaming application. You will have to disable one of the processors of the computer while running the gaming applications. To disable one of the processors, start the game and then open the task manager. Go to the processes tab and then right click on the process of the game. Select Set affinity and remove the check mark from one of the processor. Click on OK and then resume the game. Now you will not face the computer freezing problem again while gaming.
    With great power comes great responsibility - Spiderman's Uncle

The Greatest Sig Ever

Sometimes the processor and the GPU gets overheated while running gaming applications. If such a situation occurs then computer is bound to freeze for sometime. This is very harmful for the computer as it may lead to permanent damage of the computer. Check if the computer is ventilated properly. Check all the cooling fans if they are working properly or not. If the fans are covered with dust then try and clean them as the dust can block the airflow. Add an extra cooling fan if the cabinet and the PSU of your computer allows it.