Thread: Diablo2 crashes in Windows Vista

Diablo2 crashes in Windows Vista

Hello there, I have desktop computer which was installed with Windows XP earlier which I now upgraded to Windows Vista. I had installed Diablo2 on the computer while it was running in Windows XP and it used to run without any problems. But now when I try to try to play the game it crashes. Whenever the game is started, it shows that performing video test and then game crashes. I cant understand why Diablo2 crashes in Windows Vista when Vista is a latest operating system than XP. Please suggest some workarounds so that I am able to play the game on my computer again. Thanks in Advance.

Re: Diablo2 crashes in Windows Vista

As the game crashes when it is performing video test, I think the issue is related to the display drivers. Check if the display drivers are installed and working properly on the system. Drivers work as the mediator between the operating system and the device. If the display drivers are not installed on the computer then the operating system installs default display drivers which work fine for running Windows but are not enough for running high end graphics application. Go to device manager and check the display drivers and see if there are any caution sign against it. If there are any caution signs then follow the troubleshooting procedure and see if the problem solves. If the troubleshooting does not work then try updating the drivers.
    With great power comes great responsibility - Spiderman's Uncle

The Greatest Sig Ever

Windows Vista does not support all the games which are supported by Windows Xp and hence the game crashes while running. Check if the game which you are trying to play is listed in the games that are supported by Windows Vista. If the game is not listed, then you will not be able to run the game in Windows Vista. If the game is listed in the list and still you are not able to play the game then there is some problem with the installed game on your computer.

Windows operating systems which are released after Windows 98 have built in compatibility mode. If any application is not running in the operating system later than Windows 98 which used to work in earlier version then the compatibility mode can be used to run the application. To run the application in compatibility mode, right click on the game icon and select properties. Now go to compatibility tab and then select the operating system in which the application used to run properly and apply the settings. Enable the compatibility mode for Diablo2 and then see if it works properly or not.

The game which you are trying to play was installed on Windows XP which you then update to Windows Vista. It is possible that it could be the problem which is not letting you run the game in Windows Vista. Uninstall the game and remove all the files related to the game from the computer and then reinstall the game again in Windows Vista. Reinstalling the application again in Windows vista will enable you to play the game without any problems.

Thank you all for replying to the post. Ninja-X I have lot of saved games in Diablo2 and hence uninstalling the game will remove all the saved games from the computer which is not desirable to me. Is there any way in which I can make the game work in Windows Vista without losing the saved games on the computer?

You can uninstall the game without any fear of losing the saved games. Open the directory in which the game is installed and then find and open the Saved games folder. Copy all the contents of the folder and save it on some other driver. Uninstall the game from the computer. Now install the game again on the computer and copy the saved game files to the folder again. Remember while installing the game, select same language for installation as selected earlier as selecting other language will create problems.