Thread: Left 4 Dead 2 ends up with BSOD

Left 4 Dead 2 ends up with BSOD

I am using a Windows Vista Service Pack machine. This machine runs on an AMD Athlon X2 dual-core processor with Gigabyte Motherboard that hosts on-board graphics of 512 MB. I have been using this machine since the last 14 months and had no issues while playing any game. However when I installed the Left 4 Dead 2 game on my machine the game ends up within few seconds after clicking on the launch icon and I get a BSOD error. Help me please.

Left 4 Dead 2 System Requirements.

The problem may be because there may be some system requirements that does not meets the required standards. You may have a look at the Recommended System Requirements for Left 4 Dead 2 which are specified below:
    • Processor: 2.4 GHz
    • Graphics Hardware: DirectX 9 compatible video card with Shader model 3.0. Operating System: Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows Vista64 or Windows 7
    • Hard Drive Space; 7.5 gigs
    • Memory: 2 gigs for Windows Vista

Re-install Left 4 Dead 2

Such issues tend to develop due to improper or interrupted installation of the game. If your computer system meets the requirements that are laid down for L4D2 then there should not be any issue for playing the game as the game is compatible with Windows Vista. So you can always try re-installing the game to fix the Black screen error which is been currently appearing on your computer system.

Update graphic drivers

As per your description of the error my recommendation is that you would have to update the graphic drivers. If you are using on the on-board graphics then update the motherboard drivers or if you are using an external graphic card then you will have to update the drivers for it. Also you can try using the following console command to solve the Blue Screen of Death error:
    mat_queue_mode 0

Re: Left 4 Dead 2 ends up with BSOD

I too had a similar kind of problem with Left 4 Dead 2 game when I installed it on my Windows 7 computer. The game initially used to run very slow. A few days latter it used to hang or freeze in between and finally it started to crash to a BSOD (Black Screen of Death). But still I managed to get the game working properly. Here is how you can fix the Left 4 Dead 2 crashes and lagging.
    1. Close Steam
    2. Locate the steam\steamapps\ folder
    3. Find common.ncf, and client.ncf Left 4 Dead 2 files and delete them.
    4. Restart Steam
    5. Right Click L4D2 click Install