Thread: Ping Issues in Counter Strike Source

Ping Issues in Counter Strike Source

Hello there, I have a desktop computer which is installed with Windows XP PRO on it. I am a regular Counter Strike player and I used to play Counter Strike 1.6. Recently I started playing Counter Strike Source and I am facing some problems with it. Whenever I play Counter Strike Source online I get high ping and latency. All my friends connect to the same server with low latencies but I get latency around 150+. I dont know how to reduce the PING and hence I cannot play online. I use Garena client to play Counter Strike Source online. So if anybody else is facing Ping Issues in Counter Strike Source then please suggest some solutions. Also I want to know how to play online using Steam. Thanks in advance.

Re: Ping Issues in Counter Strike Source

Online gaming requires lot of data transfer at faster rate which requires Fast Internet connection. Check if your Internet connection is fast enough to play games online. If the net connection is slow then you are bound to get high latencies as the link will not be able to transfer the data at high speed. Check the link if it is good for online gaming by visiting websites like Speedtest and Pingtest and check the grade. If the link is not good for gaming then you will not be able to play online.

The online performance of the game highly depends on the location of the server from the client. If the host is at some remote place then naturally the ping and latency would be high. Try to connect to a server which is closer from the area which you are playing and then check the latency and the pings. I dont think the latency and ping would be high if you play on the server which is closer to the place from where you are playing.

As you are using Garena, it is easy to reduce the Ping and latency. In Garena there is a feature called tunnel which can be used to improve the connection between the server and the client. Tunneling improves the connection between the host and the client by concentrating all the bandwidth to the only one connection. To tunnel, get the User ID of the person who has created the server and then find him in the room. Now right click on the User Id and then click on tunnel. You can also use the optimize the connection option and select Use server. This will surely reduce the Ping and the latency while playing.

You can also use Steam to play counter strike online. Steam is an online client which is developed by Valve to enable online gaming in Counter Strike. It is not like Garena. You will have to purchase Steam account and install Steam on the computer. Once you have installed Steam and purchased the Steam account, login to Steam and launch the game from Steam. Now go to the Internet Tab and click on Find servers. Purchasing Steam enables you to join all the official Steam servers which give low latency and pings. Hence improving online gaming experience.
    With great power comes great responsibility - Spiderman's Uncle

The Greatest Sig Ever

Scan the computer with some updated antivirus as the system may be corrupted with some virus. Some virus's are known to eat up all the network resources which create problem in Internet connectivity. Scan and repair or Quarantine all the infected files and then check the performance while gaming. Also terminate all the unwanted processes which are utilizing network resources and check the performance of the game. Do not delete any files as it may lead to total system failure.