Thread: PSP D-Pad Problem

PSP D-Pad Problem

I recently bought a second-hand controller which has USB, PSX and (I think) X-Box connections. The only problem is, when I'm in a situation when I use the d-pad seems to just stop working. Although it was recognized perfectly and most of the buttons + both analog controls work, but I cannot get the D-Pad to work. I even tried doing a "cat /dev/input/js0" and could not see anything when I used the D-Pad (though all the other buttons produced output.) How do i resolve PSP D-Pad problem? Does any body knows about it? Kindly help me out to resolve the above issue. Thanks.

Re: PSP D-Pad Problem

Its possible you might be accidentally pressing the d-pad in the left-down and left-up directions. It has a nasty habit of disabling your directional controls, and may be responsible for your present problem. Does your controller work Ok in games with jscalibrator completely removed?

Did you change your faceplate? If so loosen the screw(s) a bit. Could this be an issue with interference? I'm on the fence on that because it seems to do it randomly and then once it starts, it seems to stay that way.

It seems like it would work fine besides the Dpad. Like the two bottom analog controls work perfectly and view around the character. I get that problem sometimes as well. Just press a bunch of buttons repeatedly to get out of the "Yes or No" menu. Then wait a few seconds before you press "Y" to talk to them again. It's not your D-Pad, it's the game. Every actual 'button' seems to be registering fine in the controls. The only problem is that darn Dpad.

Looks like you both need a new D-pad conductor. You need to open the PSP and remove the plastic part carrying the old conductor. For some people, this could cause problems. If you are dexterous enough to pull all of the moves reliably with your thumbs, more power to you. However it is certainly easier to have a larger interface designed for more accuracy with your direction.

Note that, not only do you need analog selected, you also need PCSX selected for Emulation. You also need to start ePSXe with the -analog switch. It seems like I just needed a reboot. Now I don't have to map the control to move forward but pressing up on the dpad moves forward.