Thread: Getting lag while playing company of heroes

Getting lag while playing company of heroes

Hey fellow gamers, i am a big fan of the game company of heroes. My problem is that for some reason i get a lot of lag while playing company of heroes. I run a Windows 7 machine with AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual core processor. I also have 2 GB RAM. I also have a Nvidia Geforce 8600GT graphic card with total available graphics memory of 1023 MB. The dedicated memory on my system is 256 MB. Shared system memory is 767 MB. My computer is overqualified or above the minimum requirements to run company of heroes, so i don't know how the game is lagging on my system. Please help me resolve this.

Re: Getting lag while playing company of heroes

Well check first to see that all of your video drivers up to date. Go to your graphic card makers website and download the latest updates available from there. Drivers are usually the culprits in such cases along with low system configuration. Your system doesn't have the latter case that's for sure. Download the AMD Dual-Core Optimizer. This will help improve your gaming performance on the system. It will help you correct the incorrect timing effect by updating the core time-stamp-counters so they are in sync perfectly. Hope this helps,good luck.

Well there are issues such as these when there is a problem of overheating on a system. I suggest you to download system information from windows, it is a utility for running diagnostics and checking the hardware, related criteria. Install it and open it. Choose sensors under hardware and check the reported temperatures. Start the game and then play it for around 10-15 minutes. Check the temperatures again when the lag starts to come in the forefront quite extensively. Make sure your computer isn't generating more heat then permissible leading to the lag.

Overheating and bad cooling is a major factor in terms of system getting hanged or freezing or getting in game lag. When the game such as yours uses a lot of resources, the system is put under severe pressure resulting in the extra heat being generated. The graphic cards are made in such a way as to handle the heat but overheating is a problem when the cooling is not up to mark. The gpu and cpu will overheat thanks to this leading to various related problems. Make sure the inside of your system, that is inside the case there isn't a gathering of a lot of dust and such. Make sure the fans are clean and don't have too much dust on it. All these factors do contribute towards bad cooling and eventually overheating.

I had the same issue but on a different game actually. I was running Crysis and faced the same kind of issue. But i also had the additional baggage of my computer freezing. I lowered the resolution i was playing on and lowered the video settings. I also installed another fan in my case which helped with the cooling too i guess. Overall the game runs fine now and the lag, system freezing problems is gone. I suggest you to first check whether your system meets the specifications for maximum/higher resolution/high end video settings for the particular game.
    With great power comes great responsibility - Spiderman's Uncle

The Greatest Sig Ever

I agree with what the guy above has said. Company of Heroes is a pretty demanding game in terms of resources especially visual resources on the system. 8600GT is starting to show its old age now considering how it doesn't have the memory clock or the higher bandwidth of the new cards in the market. Try bringing down the resolution and texture settings for the game and you should see a boost in performance in my opinion. Those have the largest impact on performance of a game on a system. Try turning down the graphics setting till you get the game to a playable stage. An upgrade of your cpu is also in order in my opinion if you wish to keep running such games in the future.