Thread: My games are freezing,getting weird colours.

My games are freezing,getting weird colours.

Hey gamers, i am having a few problems with running some games on my machine. When i play call of duty: modern warfare 2, game basically freezes and the display of it just goes crazy with weird colors. This also happens while playing Counterstrike: Source. There are weird colors, dots and lines and the blipping sound repeating on my system. The machine becomes completely unresponsive after all this. The only way to get it functioning again is to reboot it. My specifications are as follows :
    Motherboard: Asus
    CPU: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+
    RAM: 2 GB DDR2 PC-6400
    Video Card: EVGA 9800 GT
    I also used to get the nv4_disp error while playing cod:mw2, but that problem disappeared after about 4 days to give way to this new issue. I reformatted my computer but it still keeps happening, so please help.

Re: My games are freezing,getting weird colours.

Try to uninstall and reinstall your video drivers. Update them as well and see if there is any difference. Try updating your sound card as well. Don't keep too many applications open while playing the games. Clear your internet history before playing. For a change playing in windowed mode and see if it makes any difference to the end result. Also your problem seems to hint of overheating but i am not sure how that works so can't provide you on the finer details of checking for the issue if it is in fact overheating. But i would suggest you to make sure your video drivers are updated and compatible first.

Well try borrowing a video card and then try running the games. Also you could put your video card on another system and see what kind of response and results you get for these games on the other computer. Make sure that your video drivers are up to date. Also run a defragmentation tool or a disk clean up utility. Video drivers are constantly updated and released so make you have the latest ones. Try uninstalling and reinstalling the games after this and see if that makes any difference.

Do you have a antivirus or a firewall which is running in the background? Lots of antivirus's can interfere when running a game leading to such issues. Firewalls nowadays also have lots of applications monitoring tools which can also cause such problems. It could also be an issue with your video card overheating. Make sure your fans are cooling properly. The drivers need to be up to date and compatible. Just updating them is of no use if they were not compatible in the first place.

Check to see if you have any applications running in the background such as an antivirus of any sort. The games you mentioned are resource consuming and when other applications are also vying for it, this results to weird issues as faced by you here. Make sure your system is clean and dust free from inside. Overheating is a problem caused by improper cooling because of fans. Hence fans need to be dust clean as well. Make sure the cables are alright. Install a temperature monitor to see what kind of heat you are generating. As i mentioned these resource consuming games lead to overheating and in the long run hurts the system like it is happening with yours.
    With great power comes great responsibility - Spiderman's Uncle

The Greatest Sig Ever

Try using a different video card and monitor on your system and see if it makes any difference. If it does then say good bye to your video card and get a new one. Before that check the video card on a different computer on the same games you mentioned. As the poster above me has mentioned this could also be a driver issue or overheating problem. Don't keep any resource consuming applications running in the background. Try defrag on your disk and clean up the clutters. Collectively all such small things can lead to bigger problems so you need to keep a tab on these. Overheating seems to be culprit here since this has been known to happen with video cards. Keeping your fans and system clean from the inside is the solution to that.