Thread: Will Orange box games run with linux??Any issues with Steam on linux?

Will Orange box games run with linux??Any issues with Steam on linux?

Hey guys i am considering buying the orange box and was wondering if there are any major issues while playing on steam,playing the demo files of counterstrike on linux.I am running Ubuntu and want to know if any of the 5 games have any bugs while working on a Linux operating system along with the issues i mentioned above.I have heard that since there is no Linux native Steam hence we face a lot of problems during updates of Steam and such.Please mention the issues you might have faced so i can make a decision on whether to buy it or not.

Re: Will Orange box games run with linux??Any issues with Steam on linux?

I have bought the orange box and can safely say you can run them with minimal problems.Half life 1 and 2 run very well along with counterstrike.Portal although i haven't played much of it works fine as far as i can tell from the few times i played it.Team Fortress 2 had some audio issues but there are fixes for it on the internet which you can download should you face them so you got no worries.If you are patient enough to deal with a few small problems here and there then you should have a good time playing the games on linux,ill say go for it.

First of all if you plan on reducing the number of problems, be sure to install Direct X 9 before as and when you plan to buy it.I installed Steam pretty easily but i couldn't download demos because the link didn't work saying the javascript popup was not being launched by the inbuilt browser.The solution was to run from console and make a note of the application id. You could then "wine Steam.exe -applaunch demo1" to install the demo demo1.It would be better if we had a better answer to this problem but till then that's that.But orange box is worth the buy for sure.

Linux is very easy to use but when installing and playing windows based games like the orange box games,every game requires its own tweaks which you can find as and when you encounter them with the help of winetricks.Because of WINE you will have to deal with both the complexities,linux and windows so that's the only issue and same applies to orange box games too,there is still no linux based Steam.Steam always needs some kind of update like a .dll file which needs to be replaced.In that context i would consider the orange box a minor headache but the games like counterstrike are well worth the trouble when you play considering the player pool.

Yes they will be installed and run with your Linux system.WINE should provide you the necessary assistance in case of dll files which are needed.The community interface in Steam is sketchy for me but everything else works fine.WINE requires extra resources to run the game which is a worry when i played the orange box games or ran Steam.You will need to set a lower frame rate unless of course your hardware is top notch unlike mine.Overall Steam on linux hasn't been a good experience for me so that's my opinion,don't buy it.

I am running Fedora on my system and running steam hasn't been a good experience on my computer.I avoid Steam whenever i can.The community and store doesn't seem to work properly,i can't scroll using my mouse on it because of Steam's browser component which it seems is buggy or maybe it is just so on Linux based systems.But compared to the crappy XP im happier using Steam on Linux.