Thread: Halo error “A problem occurred initializing Direct3D”

Halo error “A problem occurred initializing Direct3D”

Hi, this is my first post on this forum as i am new to this community. I found this community very effective and thanks to you all guys. Anyway, i have a short query here. Yesterday i installed a Microsoft game Halo:Combat Evolved on my newly assembled Windows Xp SP2 computer. Well, there was no problem while installing the game, but when i tried to run the game, it gave me an error message stating "A problem occurred initializing Direct3D." and the games shut down. It happens every time i tried to run. Could you guys please make me know why is the error occurring and how to fix the same ? Thanks in advance..

Re: Halo error “A problem occurred initializing Direct3D”

While playing Halo, Usually this kind of error occurs when game detects that the computer’s video card or chipset driver does not meet the minimum requirements. This incompatibility may cause Halo: Combat Evolved to unexpectedly quit immediately after you start the program, but before the logo movies play. So what i can suggest you is first make sure your computer meets the system requirements of Halo Combat :-

• Operating System: Microsoft Windows 98, Microsoft Windows Second Edition, Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition (Me), Microsoft Windows 2000, or Microsoft Windows XP.
    • Computer/Processor: 733 megahertz (MHz) processor.
    • DirectX: DirectX 9.0 or later. (DirectX 9.0b is installed by Halo.)
    • Memory: 128 megabytes (MB) of RAM.
    • Hard Disk: 1.2 gigabytes (GB) of free hard disk space.
    • Video card: 32 MB with 3D Transform and Lighting capable.
    • CD: 8X.
    • Sound: Sound card, speakers, or headphones with multiplayer play.
    • *56.6 Kilobytes per second (KBps) modem or 10 MB network adapter. Multiplayer servers require broadband to run a server.
    • *Additionally, you must have an Internet Service provider (ISP) or a Local Area Network (LAN), if you want to play multi-player games.

The most simple process to fix this error is to download and install the Halo for Windows v1.05 Hotfix or a later version on your system. The Halo for Windows v1.07 Hotfix addresses a rare hang that could occur if a malicious individual (hacker) purposely imitates a game server and sends invalid data to a server. This hot-fix changes the version number of Halo for Windows and the Halo for Windows Dedicated Server to v1.07 from v1.06.

You may also need to change or to upgrade the Graphics or Video card, as play the important role while playing the games on your pc. I guess that your video card is old anyway, so switch to an nVidia GeForce FX or some other. At a bare minimum, this means the previous generation cards such as the nVidia GeForce4 Ti or the ATI RADEON 8500. If you've got money burning a hole in your pocket, the high-end nVidia GeForce FX 5900 and ATI RADEON 9800 PRO are at the top of their class right now in terms of performance--nothing will give you better looking games.

Thanks for the quick and valuable help, friends... I think, install the Halo for Windows v1.05 Hotfix will be the best option for me to fix this error and hence i'll try it first. If any problem occurs, i'll let you know. Anyways, thanks again for the quick reply and that is what i expected here. Help appreciated. Keep it up

Probably try to Re-install the game Halo:Combat Evolved. These kind of errors are known to crep up when there is not a proper installation done or of some missing components. There is a chance that you might have been installed properly. Un-install the game completely and then re-install it.