Thread: IP address status displays "Failed" while testing Network on Xbox live

IP address status displays "Failed" while testing Network on Xbox live

I am having Xbox 360 console. Yesterday when i tried to connect to Xbox live, i was not able to do so. The connection was getting failed every time. So i decided to perform a network test. While doing so, I saw that IP address status displays "Failed" on the Network status screen. I don't know why as i am sure i am connected to the internet. Do anyone of you have faced this kind of issue ? Also please let me know how can i fix this error ? FYI, i am still with the Legacy Xbox 360 Dashboard. I appreciate all your help.

Re: IP address status displays "Failed" while testing Network on Xbox live

If you have entered the IP values manually, than make sure that it is correct as many users face this error due to the wrong ip address that are entered manually. Also check your Ethernet cable. In rare cases, an “IP Failed” error can be generated by a faulty Ethernet cable. So before doing any advance troubleshooting, i'll suggest you to try a different Ethernet cable that is "known to be good" and start to perform the network test. Do let me know the result.

I guess that this kind of issue occurs when the IP address could not be obtained from your Internet service provider (ISP), from a network device (for example, from an Internet router), or from the Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) server. If you are using a direct connection between the console and your modem and your ISP provides a dynamic IP address (typical of most ISPs), you can configure the network settings in the console to automatically detect the IP address. To do this:-

1. Move to the System area.
    2. Select Network Settings.
    3. Select Edit Settings.
    4. Select IP Settings
    5. Select or verify console is set to Automatic

Some ISPs may require Point-to-Point Protocol over Ethernet (PPPoE settings), This means that you may need settings such as a username and password in order to connect to your ISP’s network. If your ISP does require PPPoE, verify that you have entered the settings correctly. If you are unsure whether you have to enter these settings, please contact your ISP support team. To configure PPPoE settings on your Xbox 360 console, follow these steps:-

• Move to the System area of the Xbox Dashboard.
    • Select Network Settings.
    • Select Edit Settings.
    • On the Additional Settings tab, select PPPoE Settings.
    • Use the on-screen keyboard to enter the PPPoE information that was provided to you by your ISP.
    • Select Done.
    • Select Apply and Test when you are prompted to do this.

If your ISP does not use PPPoE authentication, make sure that these settings are empty.

If your Xbox 360 console is hard-wired to a router, than power cycle the modem and router, and then try the Test Xbox LIVE Connection test again. To power cycle your home network devices, follow these steps:-

• Turn off your console and all network equipment. If any device does not have a power button, disconnect the device from the power source.
    • Wait about 30 seconds. This time can vary from device to device, but 30 seconds should be enough for most devices to power cycle.
    • Turn on the device that is first in line starting at the wall and leading to the Xbox console.
    • Wait for the modem (or other first device) to fully come online, as indicated by the lights on the front of the modem.
    • Turn on the next device in order, if any, that is connected between the first device and the console (for example, a router).
    • Wait about 30 seconds for the second device to come online.
    • Finally, turn on the Xbox console.
    • In the Xbox Dashboard, move to My Xbox.
    • Open System Settings.
    • Select Network Settings, Test Xbox LIVE Connection.

If you are receiving an IP conflict error in the More Info section of the Xbox Dashboard, turn off all devices on the network. Try to connect to Xbox LIVE with only the modem and Xbox 360 console connected.If this works, there may be a configuration issue on the router’s Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) server. DHCP enables the router to assign temporary IP addresses to the computers on your network when you go online. If you need help with understanding DHCP or the configuration, see the manufacturer’s documentation that is included with the router or contact the technical support group for the router.