Thread: What is vsync

What is vsync

There are many games in which vsync has been set as default. I need to disable the vsync on my machine, in order to get 100 fps in CS. I would like to know that what is vsync? How does vsync works? Does any body knows about it? Kindly provide me the correct information on vsync. Any kind of information would be appreciated.

Re: What is vsync

Vertical synchronization refers generally to the synchronization of frame changes with the vertical blanking interval. The purpose is to eliminate something called "tearing". Vsync matches your monitors refresh rate or frequency, with a 3D applications frame rate. The basic idea is that synchronizes your FPS with your monitor's refresh rate.

Vertical Synchronization, also called Vertical Sync, or simply VSync for short, is primarily required because of the physical limitations of CRT monitors as discussed in the Refresh Rate section. On CRT monitors it was used to prevent screen splitting when for example in an FPS if you would turn around rapidly you might get two or three lines horizontally with slightly different images, or images not in sync.

Enabling VSync tells your graphics card to synchronize its actions with your monitor. This is an important thing to disable if and only if you are benchmarking your system. hat means the graphics card is only allowed to swap its frame buffer and send a new frame to the monitor when the monitor says it is ready to repaint a new screen - i.e. during the VBI. This was the graphics card rendering either too slowly, or too fast for the CRT's refresh rate and the split screens were frame rendered ahead or behind the current frame. our graphics card and monitor do not have to be in sync; they can still operate properly when VSync is disabled, however when VSync is disabled, you can experience a phenomenon called Tearing in periods when your graphics card and monitor go out of sync, precisely because the graphics card and monitor are acting without regard for each other's limitations.