Thread: Can Xbox 360 play divx files

Can Xbox 360 play divx files

I bought a new Xbox 360 2 months back and really found it very interesting. I think it is also a good alternative to buying a HD DVD player, as i also have the HD-DVD add-on drive. I was just wondering now that does the Xbox 360 play Divx-format movies ? If yes, please let me know how ? Thank you !

Re: Can Xbox 360 play divx files

I don't think Xbox 360 can play divx files because DIVX is used a lot for watching copied DVD's and therefore may never support DIVX.While there are plenty of discussed methods floating around the Web, most are impractical and annoying and not thought out so well. Many involve actually decoding your original source video in WMV format and then placing the file in a folder by MCE and the Xbox console is recognized. Others are a little more sophisticated in that they DivX in real time on Xbox 360 can provide the flow of content, but less than ideal, since you are still forced to MCE or the most expensive version of Windows Vista to use.The Xbox 360 DivX video or XviD video directly including High-Definition material. As for audio, the console supports decoding stereo MP3 audio and stereo or multi-channel AC3 (Dolby Digital) audio inside the AVI, and thus DMF, container.

The process of actually playing videos encoded in formats that are not supported natively by the Xbox 360 Media Center becomes nearly transparent to the user. One of my friend plays it divX files on Xbox 360 through his PC with the help of an application called as TVersity. Install TVersity then download a divx file and it to your library. Once done try finding your xbox on TVersity using media share and then add that. Now you can enjoy divx files on your Xbox 360.

There are two software you can use to get your media server up and running to stream DivX/XviD files to your Xbox 360. And that is TVersity and Windows Media Player 11's built in "Media Sharing" capabilities. And i prefer TVersity,as it is a nice and simple tool to manage your media sharing. Xbox will make a good door stop in the next short period.It's 90% of the way there improved handling of different video dimensions, better playback controls and Windows Media Center Extender support will make this the perfect DivX/Xvid implementation.