Thread: How do you install new video codecs on the xbox 360

How do you install new video codecs on the xbox 360

I'm unable to view videos on my Xbox 360. Whenever i try to connect my external hard disk to console and tried to open a DivX video it gives out an error message stating it requires the video codecs on your xbox 360. So can any body tell me that how to install new video codecs on the xbox 360? Does any body knows about it? Kindly provide me the correct solution for the above issue.

Re: How do you install new video codecs on the xbox 360

Since the Container can hold various formats within it, you may need to install a codec that will actually allow the audio and the video that is inside the Container to play (or be “decoded”). If you want to view the video on your Xbox 360, then you can either try to play it from a USB 2.0 FAT32 removable drive, optical media or either you can stream the video by using the Zune software or Windows Media Player 11.

Installation of any “Codec Pack” will almost guarantee you hours of extra work trying to get things fixed. Xbox 360 does not specifically block video from playing based on a maximum bit rate, resolution, or frames per second. The maximums listed above for each codec are what we have tested for various video playback sources. Higher rated content will not be blocked, but playback may be less then optimal. Use higher bitrates at your own risk.

It should contain everything you need for just about every video there is to be found on the internet. Uninstall any existing codecs you may have, such as the K-Lite Codec pack, then install the CCCP package. And again start the installation process, and K-Lite will detect more codecs and filters on your system that it recommends you remove - do so and uninstall all the software it asks you (it will replace them with a set of codecs and filters that will be more compatible with WME). When you get to the "Select Components" screen of the installation, select the "Default" profile. Scroll down a bit to the "DirectShow video filter" section, and for both the "XviD" and "DivX options , select "ffdshow" to use it as the default decoder. Sometimes the DivX/XviD codec can get in the way of WME. You should probably check the "H.264" checkbox and also select "ffdshow" as the coder, as this will allow you to convert H.264 files to WMV (although the Xbox 360 does have native support for H.264).

Why do people feel the need to respond to a post when they don't have the ability to understand a problem or the ability to answer it correctly? I know when I post a question I hate all those stupid people who post answers that aren't really answers at all!

(sigh) I found this post and later discovered a solution.... so I created a profile here just to ridicule you people and post a real answer.

There are ways to install unapproved codecs on your Xbox360, but most of them would violate your TOS with Microsoft.

Go to the game marketplace on XBL and download the optional media update. This will allow you to play most of the AVI codecs on your 360.