Thread: Ranged Combat in Warhammer 40K: Space Marine

Ranged Combat in Warhammer 40K: Space Marine

I enjoyed taking down Ork after Ork with the Bolter weapon. I also used ranged fury if you are covered by too many orcs, which slows time down and gives you some time to breathe. Though Bolter is a good gun with good fire rate and reasonable accuracy it still dosen’t stop orc nearby or make consistent headshots against a huge no. of orks. I want to know if the range weaopons are also this good as the close range weapons are. I have seen Stalker and Avalanche but not able to use it yet. The Bolt Pistol is a ranged weapon I did not like. It is good to close in by weaking the enemy but I wish I could sprint with the gun I nhabd, now I could just walk or jog towards it which damages me a lot. I wiah I could sprint into the enemy.

Re: Ranged Combat in Warhammer 40K: Space Marine

I have used Stalker and it is a very good weapon. With just three shots your enemy is dead that too from a distance. But, it will be available later in the game. For instant killing not even headshots are required, the gun does the job. So, I think it is a very good idea to use ranged weapons. And yes Sprinting is also very useful. Enemies can't hurt you if they are dead and sprint towards the melee combat is not possible.

Yes, I too get overwhelmed by the orcs when I go to melee mode. The fury does help but it’s not useful every time. I loose too much health and then is forced to run away, in this case I will need to use ranged weapon. I do like the above two weapons but I also like the avalanche. It is a good opener, to kill off most enemies if you get overwhelmed, then you can use bolter with the remaining horde. Although Bolter rate of fire is high; it still doesn’t help when the scene is very crowded. Also, Stalker is a good weapon for ranged attack though not for crowd of orcs.

Yeah, the bolter rate is not much, but it still is very fast and the rate is high enough. That’s because I imagined bolders to be rate of slow but in the game it is like Uzi, it is very fast. Bolter rate of fire is too high and fired slower, making a thud-thud sound. In this game, it's like an Uzi. Nothing like iimagined it to be.

I wish their were more like the Stark bolt cover. I love this game though and yeah Ranged Weapons has its place and so does melee and both are required based on how you want to play the game yourselves.
    I also like the Grenade launcher which is good for destroying the nobs at a range. You ca launch all 5 launches at them.
    Yes, it might not be advatngeous for using bolt pistol while walking as it costs you health. But did you see how much it increases the bad-ass rating in the game. And having that rating is also good for you. It’s also good when all your ammo is down, and you are overwhelmedat the same time.

I think the ranged weapons are included just as a distractions that’s why they are not viable options as you can see whereas melee weapons are easily available and are important if you want to succeed. TO be good using melee is all about using your stun combos. Strike three times thr orc and then stun, it's an AoE knockback which will stun your main target. This knoack back succeeds even if you do it on hard mode. Well, my favourite gun is the Shokk attack gun, so I'll have to wait for some DLC where you can play as Orcs.

I have used the ranged weapons too, though not os impressed. But I couldn't figure out about this one gun, it had like 16 or so shots that seemed to be timed explosives or like grenades? How did that thing work?

I think you are talking about grenade launcher or Avalanche GRENADES. They are activated by reloading or use the reload button. The Avalanche's crazy awesome grenade/timed explosive/mine is capable of taking out several orks per explosive and you do get a lot of thise grenades for a big fight.
    What I ike is the Chainsowrd, it is the best weapon t okill off the weak targets quickly and easily. But it suffers heavily when it comes to Nob. I also found Power Axe, which is kind of similar to the one.
    Heavy enemies can be finished off easily using thunder hammer which is a really useful weapon.
    Didn't think so. I get the impression that you'll benefit from speed against the Ork horde but have trouble with Nobz and the like and power against Chaos Space Marines (and up) but find cultist/traitor guardsmen a real nuisance.