Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345 LastLast

Thread: The Most Scariest Game ?

Doom3 is just a silly FPS.....am not saying it's not fun...It definitely is....but it resorts to the cliched "sudden and dramatic appearance " for scares (which is what you'll find aplenty in Ramsay flicks:-)

SH2 and SH3 are scary coz they build an atmosphere of tension and the gameplay actually gives you the chills...Blame it on the spooky storyline, the atmospheric gameplay and the slow but sure tension buildup.......

With a Doom, you have o force urself to get scared (like switching off the lights at night and stuff)....with SH series, u don't need to build an atmosphere around you...the game does tat for you:-)

Try it on the console version (PS2) if you can...scarier that way (don't know why, probably the fact that in front of a pc on my pc table, it's not all that easy to get scared, but sitting on a couch in the middle of a room, lonely at night helps in making things scrier;-))
    Just as the clouds have gone to sleep
    Angels can be seen in heaven's keep
    Alone in fear they question why
    Goddamn not an angel when I die !!!

Quote Originally Posted by params7
    You're right when you say RE1 started it all, but dead wrong when you Survivor killed the series. Survivor was Not canon to the series [in other words, was not with the story] Survivor was a FPS and people finished it in 30 mins. the game wasn't a major release like Re2 and Re3.
    on Gcube- Remake and Re0 took RE up another step. you do know that Re4 is the one of the most awaited games now, that SH4 has been released and did a good job of satisfying fans.

just look at one of the trailers of Re4 on gametrailers.com - NO more slow lazy sloppy zombie in pajamas in Re4. hell i don't won't to spoil it but just take a look at the 6 mb trailer , it'll blow every horror game away!

and RE:Outbreak. and its yet to be released sequel File no.2 are for ps2 online players. it has a good offline mode, but mainly done for online players.
    it is a little bit with the story, some survivors in Racoon City fighting their way out, that's all.

other than that i think Sh2 is the most scariest game ever done. Sh1 got repetitive walking and running the same street again and again but Sh2 was awesome.
    I agree with you. I have already seen that RE4 trailer. But I hope and pray that RE games arent restricted to gamecube. Just like silent hill there should be pc releases as well. I dont want to buy a console only for a single game series.

BTW, I played bit of SH4 yesterday. When you are inside your room the game plays like an FPS which is bit awkward but once 3rd person perspective returns its quite good. Lets see how the story unfolds. I hope to complete it after getting my new video card. (Its not too good playing on geforce4mx440 SE using 3d analyzer).

Agreed, yes Capcom did a big mistake limiting RE to cube. They pissed off a lot of fans, and made little new one on nintendo's fan base. Nintendo paid Capcom ' A lot ' to rerelease all Re's on cube and signed a contract with Mikami [Re's procucer] to stay on cube from some years, because Cube was loosing to Xbox on launch.
    but let's hope Capcom get's its brains back and by Re5, go multi-platform just like SH.

hellfire Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by abhi182
    cliched "sudden and dramatic appearance "

like switching off the lights at night and stuff
    Exactly. Scaring someone does not necessarily mean you remove all the lights, restrict gamer to torch OR gun approach and pop baddies from behind. Its ok for a level or two but when this is the very basis of a game...well... <shrug>

Another game I remember here is 'The Thing'. It started off well enough but unfortunately the plot became completely lost and confused after a mission or two.

SunMysore Guest
    Doom 2 for me scares the pee outta me nowadays too.......

aka911 Guest
    hmm I find the third stage of RTCW pretty scarry where all the zombies are there
    also the end of the stage where u fight in that church,It is bone chillin, espacially if u have a good pair of speakers
    also the original quake..

oh I forgot those stages in max payne 1 where he walks in dream and the sound of a baby crying is heard.. that was something, that has to be most scary!
    Last edited by aka911; 22-10-2004 at 09:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by aka911

oh I forgot those stages in max payne 1 where he walks in dream and the sound of a baby crying is heard.. that was something, that has to be most scary!
    I would say that was a really weird stage. When I played it for the first time I didnt had a clue what was going on.

BTW that reminds me in heretic 2 baby crying was also used as a good sound effect.

SunMysore Guest
    ohh yeah...baby cries...brrrrr...still gives me shivers...

The scariest game I played was certainly Undying.
    I mean, when ur in that spooky mantion's corridor with curtains blowing and wind making those eerie sounds, ur nerves are on edge and u suddenly notice a movement to ur left and out of sheer reflex action u turn and the pistol goes of in ur hand, only to find that it was a mirror with ur own image,... that to me was the defining moment in all of my gaming. Ofcourse now when I loaded it up, its graphics suddenly seemed aged but 1 and 1/2 yrs ago, it really WAS something.

I've also heard that The Suffering is pretty scary, haven't yet played it for lack of time.

Also a couple of levels from the original Thief were pretty terrifying.

Half Life and System Shock 2, are among the best games ever, but they certainly were not scary.

edit : wait for Call of Cthulu : Dark corners of the Earth, now THAT is really promising to be scary
    Last edited by Karnage; 23-10-2004 at 08:41 AM.

most scarry game i played was clive barkers undying i still shiver when i remember that

Got to be the marine campaign of Alien vs Predator (Both 1 & 2). Undying wasn't really that scary... it was kinda comic... especially how all the ghosts looked.
    Athlon 64 3000+, Asus K8N-E Deluxe, 1GB DDR400, BBA 9800 Pro, WD Raptor 36GB, 160 GB 'Cuda SATA, NEC ND-3500A, SB Audigy LS, Altec Lansing 251.
    Housed in a Wavemaster Silver.

hey that asylum level in Painkiller was kinda scary where its almost completely dark and those zombie thingies jump up from the ceiling. and with the screaming and stuff....brrrrrr,,,,,
    I know You're A Self Made Man Its Nice Of You To Take The Blame

I could make a monkey out of you But why should i take All the credit

Painkiller was a complete no brainer.I liked it anyways.
    But in Painkiller all the monster and zombies jump right in front of ur gun.U just hav to aim and shoot.It is not that scary.

Resident Evil 4 Announced for the ps2!!!! just this november 1st Capcom made the statement!! Woohoooo! yes finally Capcom thinks about going mulit-platform! ^__________________^

http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/n...e/e041101.html

Quote Originally Posted by params7
    Resident Evil 4 Announced for the ps2!!!! just this november 1st Capcom made the statement!! Woohoooo! yes finally Capcom thinks about going mulit-platform! ^__________________^

http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/n...e/e041101.html
    Wow!!!!! Thats great news.

BTW I have played a bit of Silent hill 4 now and until now the game seems pretty interesting. Only a bit scary but looks really promising.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345 LastLast