Thread: Battlefield games

sanjidgmg Guest

Battlefield games

Anyone here play Battlefield 2 or Battlefield 2142? I'm a BF2 addict right now, but wanted to know what people prefer out of the two.

Re: Battlefield games

Well, I have been playing both for quite some time and I can say that without a doubt, BF2 is the better game. But it all really comes down to personal preference. Technically, the games are almost the same. Same graphics engine, pretty much same gameplay and the same problems with team killing and vehicle whores.

For me, BF2 has stayed on my hard drive and 2142 has since been uninstalled. If you take a moment to look at the screen shots from Bf2 versus 2142, you will see that bf2 has quite a large color palatte as well as a much wider range of gameplay environments. What do I mean by this? Well, 2142 basically takes place in the future after another ice age has hit the planet. What this means for the player is that 50% of the gameplay environments take place in bland, "winter" looking levels. Colors range from grey, white and blacks. You will also find some falling snow graphic elements. The other 50% of the levels take place in desert environments. Also consisting of about three colors.

BF2 on the other hand, maps span from close-quarter urban city levels, jungle maps, forest maps, islands, deserts, grassy plains, and there are even some custom make snow levels. Some user created maps are amazing. Maps that take place entirely on oil rigs, or train yards, or islands, creepy swamps or huge city scapes have been created. One great mapper even created a map that mimics exactly what Alcatraz Island looks like. For me, the maps are much more enthralling to play on versus the snow\desert maps.

Vehicle wise, there are more vehicles in BF2. Jets, if flying is your thing, are in BF2. 2142 has no fast moving "jet" type vehicles. Check out the review in Games For Windows magazine that exactly tells what the number of vehicles are for each game and Bf2 comes out ahead by including several more vehicles. (Not to mention all the new user created vehicles that have been made)

Speaking of modding, you will find that EA\Dice has severely hampered 2142 modding. To date, no 2142 editor has been released. Some mod teams have been able to kludge the old Bf2 editor into working somewhat for 2142 but it's plagued by crashes. There is even word that EA plans to release no native editor for 2142. Their plan being to just release add on packs.

Finally, the weapons. 2142 does have some pretty cool weapons. There is a question as to why there are no laser or energy based weapons in 2142?? The year is 2142, why not include some lasers. Granted this is a minor bitch. But the unlock system is also a drag. Since you are just getting into the game, be prepared to get owned by others that have unlocked all the new weaposn. You will have to slowly play and play and play before you start to unlock new weapons which makes those just getting into the game for the first time an almost completely un-enjoyable experience.

Mods, plain and simple. There are great BF2 mods out there. For me, I hate playing online so I love offline, coop play with a couple of my buds. You can find all kinds of free vehicles, weapons and maps over at the Battlefield SinglePlayer forums. It's a very friendly community and if you want to take a shot at making maps, there are plenty of folks over there that are more than happy to help you out.

Once some more user made content comes out for 2142, it might find it's way back on my system. But for now, to play about a dozen maps in snow or desert does not do it for me.

Hi,
    Nope...! Max people in here play CS..! It the best FPS game ever out...! Valve and Steam must fix the bugs in CS 1.6 and Condition Zero otherwise we'll stick to CS: Source...!

Quote Originally Posted by SmirnOFF View Post
    Hi,
    Nope...! Max people in here play CS..! It the best FPS game ever out...! Valve and Steam must fix the bugs in CS 1.6 and Condition Zero otherwise we'll stick to CS: Source...!
    That is nice ,,, but this thread is about Battlefield games not counter strike games

I have been sticked to playing Battlefield 2. Battlefield 2 is arguably the biggest PC game of the year.
    Despite the fact it is sequel, Battlefield 2 is a thrilling action game that immerses you in a chaos like combat never before.

i agree with much of what johnson22 said, especially in terms of the map/colour variation. however, i have to admit to being a 2142-head. there is something about coming up against an enemy walker while sliding sideways in a nekomata hovertank that gives me a greater buzz than the more realistic stuff in bf2. i guess i just like the near-future stuff! (how near remains to be seen i guess...)

alas, at the moment my own gaming PC has died and i am looking at getting a slightly less than cutting-edge gaming lappy - so right now i cannot play anything reasonable (although the situation has allowed me to revisit and old favourite of mine, Dungeon Keeper 2 - but i think i am dangerously close to being off-topic, so i'll stop now!

actually, any idea how i can get EA customer service to respond to my emails about my forgotten password - i have tried all the usual ways of resetting to no avail, and have now sent 3 emails over the last few months explaining my predicament. no response yet...
    one man's fish is another man's poisson...

Quote Originally Posted by chousaru View Post
    actually, any idea how i can get EA customer service to respond to my emails about my forgotten password - i have tried all the usual ways of resetting to no avail, and have now sent 3 emails over the last few months explaining my predicament. no response yet...
    Shame on you EA for treating your customers like this. And since we're in a recession and people are hungry for work or at least striving to hold onto their jobs, why don't you fire some of the supervisors who are in charge of this stuff, hire some fresh talent who know how to make sites and registrations work, and responding to customers. Save some money cause you fired these losers who don't care about their jobs, only their paychecks. And give the customers what they are paying for anyway..

LOL, thanks Mario2 - i just hope they read this stuff!
    one man's fish is another man's poisson...