Thread: How To Edit a Counter Strike Source Skin

How To Edit a Counter Strike Source Skin

Here you will learn, how to Edit a Counter Strike Source Skin
    To edit skins you will need the following 3 programs [not including steam and CSS] :
    • GCFscape
    • VTFedit
    • Image Editing Software [Recommended : Photoshop/Macromedia Fireworks]

Now Lets begin editting yors skins. Non-Steam Counter Strike Source users might not worry. But if yours is a steam Version, make sure your steam spplication is not running.
    Follow the steps :

• Run GCFscape, click file, open and browse to your CSS directory and open the file "counter strike source shared.gcf".
    • Now extract the 'models' folder to a convenient location as per your choice.
    • Exit GCFscape and open VTFedit, click file, open and browse and open the 'models' folder that you just extracted.
    • Open the weapons folder. Now if you want to edit 1st person veiw weapons select v_models and if you wwant to edit world veiw models select w_models.
    • Now select the weapon you wish to edit and open the .vtf file within the folder to see the textures of the gun. (See ScreenShot Below)

• Now click file and click export and export it to a suitable location.
    • Open the extracted file up with your image editor and edit the image as you want your weapon to look like and save the image.
    • Now open VTFedit click on file, import. Now in VTFedit click save and select the appropriate folder for the weapon you just edited and replace the edited file with the new one.[remember : don't mix up v_models with w_models].
    • Now replace the old vtf file of the game [in the game folder] with the new vtf file that is compiled by you.
    • Done...! start your game and see the changes...!

question Re: How To Edit a Counter Strike Source Skin

From where do i download GCFscape and VTFedit tools? i'm not able to find it on the internet. will you please help me...!!?? And Does this method apply only for weapon skins or all skins can be edited similarly...!!??

Re: How To Edit a Counter Strike Source Skin

You can use the above method for all types of skin editing... all the best happy editing...!
    Download the tools from below link :

Download GCFscape

Download VTFedit

.NET Framework v1.1 is Required GCFscape and VTFEdit are written in C++ .NET and as such requires the .NET runtime to run.

Exclamation Re: How To Edit a Counter Strike Source Skin

um sorry but in VTFedit i can't find ANY .vtf's of the p90 i wanted to edit please help me!