Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Installing Grand Theft Auto IV in Windows 7

I have installed windows 7 everything was fine, but when i try to install GTA 4 in windows 7, I keep getting an error message ,Does any one have this problem with windows 7 .

Dr. V Guest

Re: Installing Grand Theft Auto IV in Windows 7

Open DVD 1
    2> Open GTAIV Folder
    3> Right Click on Setup > Properties
    4> Go to the compatibility tab
    5> Tick: Run this program in compatibility mode for:
    6> Choose Windows XP (Service Pack 2) from the list (NOT - WINDOWS VISTA WON'T WORK)
    7> Ok

Firstly install GTA IV PC, now to install GTA IV PC without getting the error "Not Compatible with this Operating System %P" you need to open the DVD Contents here's how... by going to Computer > and at the E: folder
    Now in there go down to setup.exe and then do the following right click on setup.exe then go to the Compatibility tab and set it .

Right click on the IV icon and do Open, in there click GTA IV and then go to the Redistributable folder, click these that are have a red circle round them.

If you are one of the few who are not having problems with installing the C++ app and GFWL, skip this part.

Now, once you have installed them through that way you will need to update GFWL without having this error while starting up IV!..

You will need to go to this page to get IV up and running without the following error up top:

Download that and your ready to go, if you want to gain more FPS I recommend installing the Official V1 patch from Rockstar Games and also installing these drivers (181.20)

64-bit Drivers:
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvist...1.20_whql.html

32-bit Drivers:

Exclamation Re: Installing Grand Theft Auto IV in Windows 7

[QUOTE=Aikonik;4195685]Firstly install GTA IV PC, now to install GTA IV PC without getting the error "Not Compatible with this Operating System %P" you need to open the DVD Contents here's how... by going to Computer > and at the E: folder
    Now in there go down to setup.exe and then do the following right click on setup.exe then go to the Compatibility tab and set it .

Right click on the IV icon and do Open, in there click GTA IV and then go to the Redistributable folder, click these that are have a red circle round them.

If you are one of the few who are not having problems with installing the C++ app and GFWL, skip this part.

Now, once you have installed them through that way you will need to update GFWL without having this error while starting up IV!..

You will need to go to this page to get IV up and running without the following error up top:

Download that and your ready to go, if you want to gain more FPS I recommend installing the Official V1 patch from Rockstar Games and also installing these drivers (181.20)

64-bit Drivers:
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvist...1.20_whql.html

32-bit Drivers:

Any solution to the C++ problem? I've spent about 18 hours straight on that one. Windows 7 Beta Ultimate (Built 7000) here.

I know this thread is rather old, but I thought I would post what I did in case it helps someone that is having problems with GTA IV and Windows 7.

I have tried all the compatibility settings posted by other sites, including the one in this thread, but was unable to get the game installed properly. It would freeze after 1 second or give me a C++ error.

This morning I got the idea of trying to use the Program Compatibility wizard that is included by default with Windows 7 to install GTA IV. I had to right click on Autorun from the DVD drive and select Troubleshoot compatibility. Put a checkmark next to where it says the program worked in earlier versions of Windows. Set the compatibility to Windows Vista since the game works in Windows Vista (at least that is what I set mine too). It will then launch the installation wizard, just follow all the steps.

At the end of the installation you should be able to play the game without freezing or errors.

Hope this helps out everyone that was/is having problems with GTA IV and Windows 7.

I know this is a old post, but I am hoping some one can help me.. I just built a new system and installed windows 7 64bit. I have read the post and done what was said to do about the compatabilty mode and have done that. But when I tryed to install it, the setup stops responding. No matter what I do, I have set the autorun to xp2 and the setup to xp2. They stop responding.. I did the compatabilty trouble shooter and it just runs through with no error's or anything.. I have looked on the microsoft site and looked on other forums and most all say that it is just incompatible.. I have a full version of the game (bought as a christmas present) and have never been able to play til now.. My computer was out of date.. Please help... Thanks....

Specs.

Core2 quad 3.0 gig Q9650, Asus P5Q green mobo, 8 gig's PC 6400 OCZ memory (4 sticks of 2 gig), XFX Gforce Nvidia 9800, 750 watt power supply, 2 wd 1 tera hd's and the OS is on a 500 gig wd hd se, all in a Coolermaster Comos 1000 case.

I can't get the game to install. Should I try to install the patch with the game not loaded? I have already downloaded both patches thinking that it might help.. When I am trying to install it, it tells me that %p is not compatable. When I change the compatably to XP, a icon comes up on the bottom of the screen with a monitor and a !. When I click that, it tells me that setup.exe stopped working. If I change the autorun.exe in the root to xp, it tells me the same thing but autorun.exe is what stopped.

I know I am running the windows 7 beta that's at 64bit, but Grand theft auto vice city installed with no problem and Command and Conquer all installed with out changing compatibly or anything.. Thsi is just really confusing.. I think this system can run it.. I was just running a Asus system with 4 gigs and a 7200 xfx video card and you couldn't see a foot in front of you in GTA4.. That is the main reason for building this system.. I am thinking about just running VMware and installing XP in it and running the game that way.. But I don't know if I can use full advantage of it that way.. I might even end up with just doing a dual boot if this doesn't work..

If you think you may beable to help, let me know ether what to do or I can let you (if you are willing) to log on to my system with Crossloop to see if it is something that I am doing wrong.. Thanks alot.. Mel...

Here is Grand Theft Auto IV system rquirement

Minimum System Requirements
    OS: Windows Vista - Service Pack 1 / XP - Service Pack 3
    Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 1.8Ghz, AMD Athlon X2 64 2.4Ghz
    Memory: 1.5GB, 16GB Free Hard Drive Space
    Video Card: 256MB NVIDIA 7900 / 256MB ATI X1900

Recommended System Requirements
    OS: Windows Vista - Service Pack 1 / XP - Service Pack 3
    Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4Ghz, AMD Phenom X3 2.1Ghz
    Memory: 2 GB (Windows XP) 2.5 GB (Windows Vista)
    18 GB Free Hard Drive Space
    Video Card: 512MB NVIDIA 8600 / 512MB ATI 3870

Thanks for the information, but what about 64 bit os's? I would really like to take advantage of the 8 gig's of memory. Plus I am running Photoshop and flash and since I have installed this 64 bit os, they run alot better.. I just wish I knew why it just stops responding.. It's only on that game.. I even installed Doom (yes the dos version) and the origanal Command and Conquer with out compatiblite switched and they ran fine on windows 7 64 bit.. It's just confussing.. If you know if will work with the 64 bit Vista, please let me know.. Thanks.....

GTA 4 is the buggiest game ever made for pc. You are tend to get maximum crashes or even FPS loss by playing this game. However, NVIDIA recommends that you update your system with the following GeForce v180.84 driver for the best experience on Grand Theft Auto IV.

Download GeForce Driver 180.84 (Vista 64-bit)

Quote Originally Posted by Melocco View Post
    So, do you think I should just give up and I want play it, just get an xbox? that game is the main reason of building this system.
    Well, many have succeeded playing this game without any problems and many have not, you can go to GTA forums and try to find out what all responses have been given for this dreaded game.

Or try to play it on Windows Xp as I was able to play this game without any problem on that OS, but if it is Vista then also it should play but alas the game sucks though, grab a Xbox, best console for playing game and the Resident evil 5 coming this March would definately make you happy.

Hey folks, I've read through this thread yet am surprised no one has encountered the same problem as me yet..

GTA IV will only run on XP SP3 or Vista SP1, Windows 7 Ultimate 64 (7000) here, and the compatibility modes are only XP SP2 or Vista.

Would some uber-genius here know how to alter the registry to trick GTA IV into thinking Vista is SP 1 or XP is SP3 in compatibility mode? I don't mind altering the registry etc I intend on pushing this beta to it's limits but I'd love to be able to play GTA IV whilst doing so..

Thanks in advance!

Here's How To Change Manually XP SP2 to SP3 For GTA IV
    Step 1: Run Regedit by Clicking on Start -> Run , type in regedit and press enter
    Step 2: Make a backup of your registry (just in case)
    Step 3: Browse to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contr ol\Windows"
    Step 4: Modify the value of "CSDVersion" from "0x00000200" (SP2) to the Windows XP SP3 value of "0x00000300"
    Step 5: Close registry editor
    Step 6: Reboot
    Step 7: Start GTA and freakin enjoy it already!

Ya know.. I understand that it was just repeated.. But I can't figure out why it doesn't work. I think I'm just going to save alittle money and buy a xbox 360 and just get the game on it.. I enjoy my computer, but some times... GGGRRRRRR....

hmm.. in using windows 7 ultimate 32bit.. gta iv works fine for me..

what i had to do:

sett the setup file to be combitable whit xp sp2 and the game intalled perfectly.
    installed both patches.
    sett the gtaivlauch file to be combitable whit xp sp2.
    then i started the game whit the rockstar sosial club.

this worked fine whit my friends windows 7 64bit system to.

hope it can be at some help. but it seems that yal have done this allready

Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast