Thread: I Am Alive Details Revealed

I Am Alive Details Revealed

1UP is reporting that gaming mag GamesTM has an interview with Senior Producer Alexis Goddard with details on Ubisoft's upcoming I Am Alive. The article has some sweet quotes that offer a few gameplay concepts and acknowledge a plethora of sources as the game's inspiration, including "I Am Legend," "The Day After Tomorrow," "War of the Worlds," "Armageddon," "Titanic," "Cloverfield," "Jericho," and "Lost." We've cherry-picked Goddard's comments so you can cut right to the chase:

Senior Producer Alexis Goddard: Disaster has been a recurring theme for entertainment since the beginning of time. We're not really reinventing that here. We're putting it together for the first time in a totally new package. Most of what we're doing will remind you of tidbits that you've seen or heard here and there -- Robert Neville in I Am Legend gradually starts to lose his humanity and sanity in the ruins of New York. In The Day After Tomorrow and War of the Worlds you see Western cities torn apart by unrelenting forces.

Senior Producer Alexis Goddard: Confrontation is a way of dealing with violent groups, but will rarely be rewarded. We encourage the players to use tactics, diversion, and discretion. You've found a police shotgun, which is out of bullets -- rightfully so, since Chicago has long been a proponent of a ban on guns. How about some intimidation? After all, who knows the gun is empty but you? Just point it at looters and they'll remain at a distance as you progress toward your objective. However, you can only aim it at one person, so you have to watch for being flanked.

Senior Producer Alexis Goddard: We wanted the player to really feel the power of Mother Nature, to feel the danger coming from the collapsing towers and devastating rifts, feel the chaos happening all around him. There's nothing like a first-person view to create that kind of emotion.

Re: I Am Alive Details Revealed

The first substantial information about Ubisoft's enigmatic survival game has arrived, revealing an interesting take on the first-person genre and dispelling rumors of Jade Raymond's involvement.

Back when I Am Alive debuted at last year's E3, we didn't know much about it than that it was some sort of disaster-survival game where water bottles were really important and Jade Raymond was probably making it. Now, thanks to an issue of GamesTM (transcribed by 1UP), we have some real information on the game, and it does sound pretty interesting, even though we now know Jade Raymond actually has nothing to do with it.

In I Am Alive, you play as Adam Collins, a survivor of a massive earthquake that has wrecked Chicago. Adam has to find his girlfriend, save her and rally a group of survivors to alert and get help from the government. True to its title, I Am Alive seems very much to be about being (and staying) alive in the wake of something that has literally rocked the foundations of life as we know it. "In I Am Alive, we're not only turning your everyday life upside down; we're also changing the very social values and rules that both everyday life and videogames rely on," Alexis Goddard, senior producer, said. As such, items are realistically scarce - even moreso than they'd be in a survival horror game - and they have to be used creatively, like the water bottle in the trailer, which Adam used to lure a group of attackers into a trap.

Guns are present in I Am Alive, but in a Mirror's Edge kind of way, don't exactly mean you can just barrel through a room unloading rounds. "We encourage the player to use tactics, diversion, and distraction," Goddard said. "You've found a police shotgun, which is out of bullets...How about some intimidation? After all, who knows the gun is empty but you? Just point it at looters and they'll remain at a distance as you progress toward your objective."

And like Mirror's Edge, all this anti-shoot-em-up action takes place from that most trigger-happy of gameplay perspectives: first-person. "We wanted the player to really feel the power of Mother Nature, to feel the danger coming from the collapsing towers and devastating rifts, feel the chaos happening all around him," Goddard explained. "There's nothing like a first-person view to create that kind of emotion."

Similarities to PS2 earthquake-survival game Disaster Report aside (water's pretty central in that as well), I Am Alive seems like a very high-concept take on some established videogame genres. Hopefully we'll hear more about it as the year progresses