Thread: Fallout 3: Disable Windows live update

Fallout 3: Disable Windows live update

Fallout 3 includes and installs Games for Windows Live. Since i'm facing lag and crashes with fallout 3 i want to disable this Live? thanks for help.

Re: Fallout 3: Disable Windows live update

Disabling Windows live update will not prevent from crashes. At best it simply allows people to record and share their achievements online, get notifications of game updates and get additional Downloadable Content in the future.

Re: Fallout 3: Disable Windows live update

refer this threads if you facing crashes with fall out 3
    Fallout 3 crashes
    Fallout 3 Crashes
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. - Albert Einstein

What we think, we become (Please don't think you are a superhero and don't try to fly)

"SUCCESS IS NOT A DESTINATION , IT'S A JOURNEY"

Disable Games for Windows Live update

If you want to remove/disable Live successfully, follow these steps:

1. Uninstall the 'Microsoft games for windows - Live redistributable' item in your Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs (XP) or Control Panel>Programs and Features (Vista).

2. Go to the \Program Files\Bethesda Softworks\Fallout 3\ directory and rename the Fallout3.exe.cat file to something else, e.g. Fallout3.exe._cat.

3. Importantly, download a 'fixed' xlive.dll file from here (see the 1 November news item and use the 'fix' link). Place this modified file under your \Windows\System32\ directory (or \Windows\Syswow64 for 64-bit OSes). I recommend renaming the original xlive.dll file that's already first there rather than overwriting it with the modified version. Note: without an xlive.dll file in the \Windows\System32\ directory, launching Fallout 3 will result in an error.

4. Launching the game now should be free of any Live-related functionality. However make sure you don't click the Live item in the main Fallout 3 game menu as this can freeze the game.

Uninstalling/disabling Live as covered above should be trouble-free, but if you do run into problems, reinstall Fallout 3 and Live will be reinstalled along with it. In the end there's no real reason why you should uninstall Live, but as noted, it's not completely necessary and some people do claim that removing it resolves various issues, so try it at your own risk.

Re: Disable Games for Windows Live update

Quote Originally Posted by Moriturus View Post
    Unfortunately, the link is broken . Is there anywhere else to obtain the file?
    Are you sure cause at my side I am able to open that link without any problem.