Thread: Lost OEM product key

Lost OEM product key

I bought a HP desktop a year ago that came pre-installed with Windows 98. Yesterday while working on the same it crashes suddenly and was not able to boot properly anymore. Hence I restored the system to original configuration with the installation CD. Everything went fine but now the system is asking me for the product key that I don’t have. Also there is just 2 option, either enter the product key or shutdown the computer.

As this is OEM, I called up HP guys but they said they cannot provide any help because the system is out of warranty now and If I want them to help, I’ll need to pay them 65 dollars for just talking about the problem. So I want to know whether Microsoft can help me with the same ? or any one of you guys. Thank you.

Re: Lost OEM product key

As it is OEM product, did you check back or bottom of your PC? Keys should be there on a sticker. If it is not there any more, are you able to boot your system in Safe Mode ? If yes, you can get the product key in the registry. Just try opening registry editor by typing regedit in the start menu and searching for a key named ProductKey. Apart from this you can try using any third party key finder programs such as magical jellybean. This will search your registry and show you the keys.

Re: Lost OEM product key

Restoring the system probably wont ask for the product key. I guess somehow the CD has formatted the D drive. And if this is the case you wont be able to get the keys from the registry as well. Talking about Microsoft, they don’t provide any support for Windows 98 now.

So the only option left for you is to spend 65$ and let HP guys fix the same.