Thread: USB mass storage device driver

USB mass storage device driver

Am having two systems at my home, once running with Windows 98 and other with Win XP. Am using a VGi 1GB usb flash memory stick on XP without any problem but when I connect the same Windows 98, it asks me for driver. I tried searching for VGi, that is my vendor, but there is no website for the same.

So can you guys please tell from where can I get the drivers for VGi 1GB usb drive ? Thanks in advance.

Re: USB mass storage device driver

First of all let me tell you that USB use to be either v.1 that is supported with Win98 original and v.2 that is compatible with Win98SE. Which one is yours ? If it is the latest one than probably it should be v.2 and if it is so, than it would be not compatible with original or first edition Win98. I guess this is the one you are using, right ?

Just to help you out I tried searching for the vendor on web but it is nowhere. So, will suggest you to try using any generic driver packages like PNY, Emprex, etc. They can help you out installing the required drivers because they use a InstallShield route to install the drivers.

Do you have the Windows 98 installation CD? If yes, that can help you out better. Just check your CD, there should be a file named usbview.exe. This will identify your USB ports and devices. You wont need any drivers to download.

Hey dude, I found a generic USB mass storage driver that is 100% compatible with Windows 98SE. I have tested as wlel on few of my systems and it works fine. I hope this will help you too.

You can download the drivers from here.

Thanks a lot for the driver download. It worked for me. Here is what I did. I downloaded the drivers, connected my USB stick. Went to control Panel > add new hardware wizard. And followed the instructions. When it asked for the drivers, I pointed it to the location where I have saved the file unzipped. That’s it. Now its working good.