Thread: The operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator.

The operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator.

Hi, I am using Windows 98 since long time; it is a standalone computer, not connected to any network. Today when I started my system everything was working fine but as soon as I go to install any new program from any CD, I get the following error message:

“The operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator.”

I don’t think there is any virus problem because I am having updated Norton and Spybot installed. Do you guys have any idea what could be the problem and how can I fix it ? Thank you.

Re: The operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator.

Just go through the following steps:

• Go to Start and click RUN
    • Type regedit, press Enter.
    • Navigate to the following locations:
      HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
    • Here on the right pane, see if you get a key named ‘RestrictRun’.
    • If you get it, delete the same and exit Registery editor.

Restart the computer to effect the changes and now see if you get the error.

Re: The operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator.

Thanks a lot for your reply rossen but there is not any key named RestrictRun on the provided locations.

Must be something else. Any other suggestion?

I think there is any startup program creating the problem. Just go to Computer management by typing ‘msconfig’ in the RUN box. Go to Startup Tab and uncheck Autoexec.bat as well as Config.sys. Press OK and restart the computer. If you get any problem with this, checkout this Microsoft Article: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=281965

Hope this helps.