Thread: What is Windows ReadyBoost and does it improve performance?

What is Windows ReadyBoost and does it improve performance?

I got my self a new laptop, vista in it, like any other i would like to speed my performance . my friend told me that we can use Windows ReadyBoost using a USB flash drive to boost performance . but its just this then he log off *@*$#$%$. i was totaly confused & hope the experts of this forum will help me .

First: i need to know what is ready Boost what exactly does it do to make your laptop or pc boost up there perfomance

second: I know it requires a USB flash drive or card, but does it make a difference what kind of drive I should use or does it require something that is fast?

thrid : will this be ther for longer time coz i have doing some searching and i found ReadyBoost does initially help performance in the beginning, but over time the performance gains starts to deteriorate is this true

plz help Thanx.

here is a link that will help you it got all your questions-answer
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...eadyboost.mspx

thanx deowo, But any one else that can help me by explaining not throwing me some where else .

Dr. V Guest

Feature of the Windows ReadyBoost

A Microsoft Windows Vista feature for adding memory to a system using flash memory, such as a USB flash drive, to improve performance without having to add additional system memory. The flash memory device will work as an additional memory cache that the computer can access much more quickly than it can access data on the hard drive. When a removable memory device is inserted into a port, Windows Vista checks to see if its performance is fast enough to work with Windows ReadyBoost. If it's compatible you can then choose to use the memory device to speed up system performance. You also have the option to allocate all the drive to speed up performance or allocate only a portion and use the remainder for file storage. Despite the performance boost offered by Windows ReadyBoost, adding RAM is the best way to improve performance of your computer.
    thank you

USB drive Windows ReadyBoost

Unfortunately, adding memory can be challenging, since you must be sure to get the amount and type of memory that is right for your computer, and you have to physically open your computer's case to install the memory. Windows ReadyBoost is a new performance-related feature in Windows Vista that gives you an easier way to add memory - just plug in a USB drive, SD card, or other compatible flash memory device.

Adding system memory (RAM) is often the best way to improve a PC’s performance. However, upgrading memory can be difficult and costly, and some systems have limited memory expansion capabilities, making it impossible to add RAM.

Windows Vista provides a new way to add memory to your system which is called Ready Boost. Now you can use a USB flash drive, to improve performance without having to add additional memory to your system.

Windows Readyboost

“What is Readyboost you ask?” well it’s a feature of Vista that allows flash memory (like USB Sticks) to be used as additional RAM to boost PC performance.

PC World took that claim and put it to the bench. First off, Microsoft indicates that only the best performing flash drives should be used, (3.5MBs per/sec reads and 2.5MBs per/sec writes) so although some web sites claim “use any extra flash drive for Readyboost,” that claim is a bunch of BS.

Using the best performing drives from Kingston, Lexar and Ridata it was concluded the Readyboost did improve performance, but only by 4 to 6%. So unless you had a stop watch - BFD! My Vista upgrade is going to wait.