Thread: Setting up a webcam in Windows Live Messenger

Setting up a webcam in Windows Live Messenger

Setting up a webcam in Windows Live Messenger

Many people in experiencing some difficulties to configure their webcam on Microsoft software.This therefore includes detailed steps to be followed scrupulously to achieve your ends, and a few tips that may help those whose problems are not trivial.

Step 1: The "Tools" menu of Windows Live Messenger

1. Recover Windows Live Messenger in our software if you do not have it yet.
    2. Start the installation of the software.
    3. Once this is done, go to the Tools menu software.

In this menu, two links are important in order to properly configure your camera:"Setting audio and video" and "Parameters of the webcam."This is the first that we will discuss first and foremost, the second used primarily to adjust the parameters of the image in the secondary stage but we are dealing with. Launch therefore setup wizard and click on "Next".

Step 2: The setting of loudspeakers

1. Select your hardware in the menu.
    2. Check the box if you use a helmet.
    3. Test finally your sound output in order to adjust the volume.

It is possible that you find in the menu several choices. That means you have several elements in your computer capable of transmitting sound, a dedicated card and your motherboard, for example. In this case, make sure to select well the correct input, what you quickly verify the test by loudspeakers.

Step 3: At the turn of the microphone

1. Select your sound source.
    2. Start talking to your microphone.
    3. Observe the cursor, if it moves, your microphone is working.

Two remarks on the stage configuration. On the one hand, if your camera has no microphone, you must go through a device that you must annex plug into the pink on your sound card. On the other hand, if your mouse does not work, you may have selected the wrong input device sound. Take particular care in this setting and not leave this page only when the cursor s'agitera,
    indicating that your voice is recognized by the software.

Step 4: Turning finally to the image

1. Specify this time the source of the video.
    2. Observe the window of return: if your setup is satisfactory, your image should appear.
    3. Adjust the frame rendering through the "Option" button.

Like the sound source, you may have in this menu, several entries possible. This can happen if an acquisition card or a second webcam, for example, is connected to your computer. But most of the time, this choice will be very fast because your camera will be the sole source of video streams.

sad Re: Setting up a webcam in Windows Live Messenger

Hi everyone

I been having a bit of a issue with my webcam ever since i updates to windows live messenger, whenever i do a video call with someone they can see me but for some reason i cant see my own webcam, and i dont seem to have the option "show my webcam" above the "start a video call" why can't i view my own web cam anymore?

Re: Setting up a webcam in Windows Live Messenger

Before you try to set up your webcam, verify that you are using the latest service pack for your current operating system. All instant messaging programs allow you to exchange text, sound and video messages with other users – there’s no real benefit to using one over another. If you are using Windows Vista, verify that you are using Service Pack 2, if you are using Windows XP, verify that you are using Service Pack 3. For more information you need to check out the following link. Hope so it may resolve your issue.

seopositive2 Guest

This is a very interesting find indeed. I will have to check it out when I get the time though. Thanks for the nice tips.

I am having issues too, with the Drop down cam menu, I do not get the opntion it just goes straight to video call, im running latest Windows live with Windows 7

Well, i think you need little troubleshoot. Open Messenger main window and click Tools and select audio and video settings In the window of the webcam settings, select your webcam and click the Settings button on webcam. Now adjust the brightness, contrast, image quality and other parameters that you see fit to achieve what you need.

I need some help with my webcam on windows live messenger
    latest version on windows vista home edition

I don't get the option to have a normal webcam conversation, like starting my conversation partner's webcam or mine.

My conversation partner has also tried inviting me to a webcam conversation like the above, but it just doesn't work.

I can click the webcam icon, but it will start a video conversation by default.

Can you please help me?

grtz
    Capu

I found a way to fix the problem:

recent versions of windows live messenger just make it unable to use 1 webcam in a conversation.

in order to have a normal webcam conversation (the option to start 1 webcam at a time) you need to download an older version of windows live messenger.

remove the following program: windows live essentials

this is a download that works, I used it as well:
    http://wl.dlservice.microsoft.com/do...lsetup-all.exe

go to this website (copy-paste it into your browser if you can't click it)
    and the download should start automatically
    P.S.: it's a 130 MB file and in english..., but if you want to use 1 webcam at a time, I guess it's worth it

my problem is solved

DON'T FORGET: first uninstall windows live essentials

grtz

Could you explain where to find all those 'tools' from messenger?
    I just bought a webcam to video chat with friends. But I have the problem messenger doesn't like me so I need to find a solution. You are one of the few I haven't tried yet because I don't know where to find the 'tools menu' and other menu's. Could you say which menu can be found where like: menu toolbar can be found in the map of messenger '??'.

Thanks, Otto

In the Messenger Window at the top you can see a Tools Menu. Click on that and drop down menu appears where you have to click on Options. Then choose Personal from the left menu. If you want to adjust the settings of the wbecam as per your usage. When you click on the option on the Tools menu you can see the small icon in the MSN Messenger Chat windows. It is at the top left like a camera. Click on that and start using the cam.

That's the problem, my webcam doesn't connect with messenger.
    When I say start videoconversation my friend's webcam goes on and I see it but mine stays off and doesn't do shiit, so I only see my friend and he doesn't see me. My pc does read the webcam (I see it located at my computer) so it should function well, but I don't know how to couple the webcam to msn so I could use it for conversations on msn.
    Can you help me with this too?

Thanks, Otto

Press Win+R. Type “devmgmt.msc”, and look in the appearing “Device Manager”. Your camera is not listed there? Your computer might have problems with either the USB Host Controller or the webcam driver itself. ou might need a new driver version. Check your manufacturer’s website for new drivers, using the exact name and model of your webcam. If there is no recent driver—that’s bad.

You can also get some help from these articles:
    Windows Live Messenger Webcam problem?
    Webcam won't work with Windows Live Messenger 2009
    webcam not working with Windows Live Messenger

My webcam is located at that 'device' list.
    But my msn doesn't read it or something, when I click videoconversation I get the message: you need to plug-in your webcam or buy one. But I have it plugged-in and the webcam from my friend does go on.

Btw, I'm running on windows xp service pack 3.

Hi Halucus,

I also used to have the same problem with me but I finally solved it, what you need to do is first plug in your webcam then sign out of msn the manual way by going to the right and going to file > sign out. Then when signing in it, it will let you use your webcam instead of video call. It's a very annoying glitch but does work.