Thread: How to extract data from web databases

How to extract data from web databases

Hi all,

Can anybody help me to know the procedure for extracting the site data from a web database. Suppose,I have a site name www.facebook.com. How can I extract the information related to the connected user with this site.Is there any existing tools to do this? Or need I write some codes?

Thanks.

Extracting data from web databases

Extracting data from web databases:

The site that you have given as a example is public site which is not serious company which have some security reasons to access the data.

Instead of all this,you need to test yourself and create a web service through which you can access their data through XML.I am not sure about this site but the but you can do it from Amazon.com

If you need to access the suggested site then, you can still extract html data from pages on the wiki server using your favorite server language.

Extracting data from web databases

Just one thing, whatever you wanted to do is illegal according to the site.If it is one of the commercial and very strictly used by only authorized user then you need to be careful about the site related rules and regulation.

To access the data from the site,you need to have access permission from the web owner.

In case,if you need to access the public sites then you can do it using some special tools and code also.Above written post by computer_freak can help you to do this.

Methods of Web Data Extraction

Data extraction is the ability to access the data from web and it in a already defined way to websites, xml files, databases and spreadsheets.

Websites are constructed in the manner of different encoding and different HTML elements to show their matters. This is primary challenge for web extraction tools : capability to extract data from various resources.

In this way,one of the software named Unit Miner that uses scripting language to perform this task.The scripting language is capable to handle minor modifications in document structure without any maintenance work.

Extract data from web databases

There is one of the software which can help you to store the people data from different websites.

The software requires the name and city in the text box and will disply the list of those people who comes under this name and location.It performs the search for people using the last name and city and then extracts their addresses and phone numbers and store them into a .csv file and inserts them into your database.

Re: How to extract data from web databases

Hi what's the name of that software

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by keranali View Post
    Hi what's the name of that software

Thanks
    You mean you want software for Web Data Extraction right? Well there are many if you search it on google. One such software is called WebHarvest - web data extraction tool. It leverages well proved XML and text processing techologies in order to easely extract useful data from arbitrary web pages.

I'm looking for a software to extract names and addresses from my excel database and input them in a search webpage. After the search has executed copy the information and input in a new excel workbook. Is this possible

Thanks