Thread: How to speedup File Search on Windows 8.1

How to speedup File Search on Windows 8.1

Searching for a file from large pool of data is time consuming and frustrating. A number of time you don't really remember what is the file name and where it is. I am going to show you tips and some tools that can simply boost your file searching abilities. This are easy to use. Most of the time we use the regular search box on the top right of explorer.exe. I have a 1TB drive where one partition is filled with lots of psd files. When I search the text take ab it long time to give me the exact file I had looked for. Also the search is limited because it does not provide you any good filters. So the best thing here is to stock with some nice file search software which can not only give you results but also help you to get advance search option. If you think your system respond really slow hen searching try to run Disk Defragmentation. This will help you to gain a bit speed. And then you can choose any one tool from below.

Ultra Search

UltraSearch - This one is in the top of my lost. This tool is very fast and offer you instant results in minutes. It works really well on NTFS drive. In just some second you can get the list of files you are looking for. It has a index which it stores by regular searching. This help the tool to give results more faster. You can find a exe file or you can find html files in that. If you want to know how much exe files are saved in your system partition then just type *.exe and search. It will give you the list of only .exe files. In this way you can search date wise, file wise and through many other filters.

Launchy

Launchy - Launchy is more than a search utility. It add a tiny search box on your desktop from where you can open any thing. You can type word to open word application or you can type a name of file to open a file. It is very impressive and fast. I am using this on my system from a bit long time because here you don't have to click on the start menu. It is a free tool. You can search music, video, etc. It just gives list of everything. But it misses advance filters. That means you cannot target a specific file through this. Otherwise it is a very handy software.

Super Finder XT

Super Finder XT - This one is for professionals. This tool has options for advance search support. The standard edition of Super Finder XT is free. It allow you to simple text search and fast result on the screen. It has a wildcard support also. You can add exclusion from the list to skip unwanted files. Super Finder XT makes your search more effective. Because here you choose what you want. You can select the location from where you can want to locate the file. It is impressive in terms of output. I found the software simple and easy to use but also the advance options are quiet great.

Re: How to speedup File Search on Windows 8.1

I am using FileSearchEX. This software has two layout interface. At the left you have choices of location while on the right side you can see the files. It is a too the point file search solution. The tool has a simple interface which is easy for everyone to understand. I like the software due to its simple search interface. It is a very nice alternative in place of regular windows search. And it consume very less amount of ram.