Thread: How to uninstall Windows 7 dual boot with Windows 8?

How to uninstall Windows 7 dual boot with Windows 8?

Many people have installed the different version of Windows 8 in their computers and they have installed it in the different partition as that of Windows 7. The problem that happened with many people is that they actually removed the partition in which they had installed Windows 7 in attempt of trying to remove the Windows 7 from the computer. Here is the guide which will help you to remove Windows 7 from your computer without any problem.

Open the disk management and find the drive marked as ‘active’. This is the partition that will have bootmgr. This is the partition on which the operating system got installed first. In my case it is Windows 7. But in some systems, the bootmgr can be found in recovery partition instead of primary partition. If in attempt to remove Windows 7, if you delete this partition, then even Windows 8 won’t boot properly.

You can remove the unwanted operating system by right clicking on the partition in which it is installed and click on the delete volume option. This will make the partition empty which you can delete. This empty partition will then be considered as a free space. Now you can use Disk Management to merge the free space with some other partition. See to it that you don’t merge the free space with the partition with on which you have installed any operating system.

Now that we have removed the partition of Windows 7, we need to remove the extra bootmgr. To do this, you need to use EasyBCD software to do it. You can download the same software by searching it on the net. Now install and start EasyBCD and you will find some buttons on it. Click on the Edit boot menu first and select the boot settings you want to delete. In your case it is of Windows 7. So select it from the centre screen. Now on top, you will find a button for delete, click it. You will get a prompt for confirming the action, click ‘yes’ to confirm it.

Now you will need to clean the MBR which can be done using the BCD backup/repair option from the left side of EasyBCD. Now under the BCD management options, select ‘Reset BCD configuration’. Click on the ‘Perform Action’ button to complete the action. Now you will also have to reset the MBR with the current OS to resolve all the conflicts and problems. Go in ‘Add new entry’ tab from the left side of the EasyBCD screen and then select type, select Windows 8. Now choose the drive in which it is installed, preferably C:. Click on the Add entry button.

Windows 7 will be then successfully removed from your computer if it is installed in dual boot system along with Windows 8.

Re: How to uninstall Windows 7 dual boot with Windows 8?

Thanks for your guide, it will really help me get the things right in my computer. I was totally confused after installing Windows 8 about how to remove Windows 7. I couldn’t afford to lose my data neither could I afford to lose the partition. I will try it out as soon as possible.