Thread: Changing Optimize Drives Schedule Settings in Windows 8

Changing Optimize Drives Schedule Settings in Windows 8

Optimize Drives in Windows 8 is nothing but Disk Defragmenter of windows 7, it is used for optimizing drive that are used in computer now a days. Windows chooses optimization for your drive automatically and runs weekly schedule for automatic maintenance by default. You can follow the below steps for turning on and off Optimization Schedule in Windows 8, just make sure that you are signing in as administrator.

For turning off Scheduled Optimization of All Drives in Windows 8:
    • Open Windows Explorer, select your drive, click on Manage tab and click on Optimize button.

• When you get Optimize drives window then click on Change Settings button under Scheduled optimization.

• If you are prompted for UAC then click on yes and Uncheck “Run on a schedule” box, click on ok and click on Close.

For turning on Scheduled Optimization of All Drives in Windows 8:
    • Open Windows Explorer, select your drive, click on Manage tab and click on Optimize button.

• Once you get Optimize drives window then click on Turn on button under Scheduled optimization.

• If you are prompted for UAC then click on yes, once you turn it on click on Change Settings button under Scheduled optimization.

• Now click and open drop down list of Frequency and choose any of the option from Daily, Weekly, or Monthly for running the schedule. Its weekly by default but you can change it accordingly. If you want to get notified for the scheduled that will get run then you can Check mark “Notify me if three consecutive scheduled runs are missed”

• In “Select the drives you want to optimize on a regular schedule” window you can Check or uncheck the boxes of the drives that you want to include or exclude. If you don’t want your new drives to get added in scheduled optimization then you can uncheck “Automatically optimize new drives” option.

• Once you are done with this changed you just have to click on ok, Click on close and you are done.

Re: Changing Optimize Drives Schedule Settings in Windows 8

I wasn’t aware of this “Optimize Drive” drive things in windows 8, I am aware of Disk Defragmenter of windows 7 and have used it sometimes as well. Currently I am running Windows 8 consumer preview in my system and I will try it out it today, hope it actually carry out the task that Disk Defragmenter used to do, thanks for sharing.