Thread: Tips to choose right desktop modding tools

Tips to choose right desktop modding tools

I want to modify my desktop to give it a custom look. I want the panels on the desktop to match the wallpaper and so do the logos. I know Windows 7 provides certain basic options, but I would like to have more of them so that I get more flexibility and develop a desktop according to my need. I asked my friend about it and she said that there are many desktop modding tools available on internet for download but some of them tend to slow down the computer and consume too much of the resources. Can someone tell me how to select proper desktop modding tool so that I get proper results without having to compromise on resources and also make the desktop beautiful?

Re: Tips to choose right desktop modding tools

The main purpose of modifying the desktop is to make it look beautiful and also get required shortcuts quickly. Before you choose any modding tool to work upon, decide the purpose you want to modify the desktop for. Whether you are designing it for fun or are you designing it because you need to get the shortcuts quickly. This will decide which modding tool you want to use and why you want to use. If you want to modify the desktop to get the shortcuts quickly, you can use the simple modding tools and make simple docks which won’t be heavy on your system. If you just want to beautify your desktop, you can use the advanced modding tool to get beautiful interface. So first decide purpose and then choose the modding tool.

Hardware is very necessary when using the modding tools. If you have low end hardware, see to it that you don’t add to many components on the desktop. If you have high end hardware, you can go on modding the desktop freely. Modding tool creates and new interface which is launched at the startup. To keep the looks proper, a process in background keeps on running. Also this modification sometimes includes certain animations and high quality graphics. So if you don’t have a good graphic card, it is recommended to avoid the modding tools that provide such high end animations and graphics. Since a process will be launched at the startup and keep running in the background, you need to have good RAM to support the mods.

While choosing an modding tool see to it that no application, process or software is affected by it. What modding tool does is that it slightly modifies the internal codes to create and different looks for your desktop. If some other application or process needs to use that same file and it might detect difference in it, then it can create problems as the other software will refuse to start. Also it has been reported many times that certain combination of anti-virus software and desktop modding tool doesn’t work properly. So find if the anti-virus that you might be using is compatible with the chosen modding tool or not. The changes done by the modding tool will is many times detected as Trojan or worm by the anti-virus leading to denial of permission to edit the system files.

If the modding tool you are using starts to consume large amount of resources, then you will have to stop using it. It might happen that you have 1 GB RAM in your computer and the modding tool needs 512 MB to operate properly. So such a modding tool is useless as it will consume half the RAM which will stop you from using other applications in your computer. Choose proper modding tool such that maximum of the RAM and other resources are available for other use rather than being eaten up by the desktop modding tool. Also most of the these modding tools keeps process running in background, so see if any other process is not affected by it. Also if the desktop modding tools you choose faces problem of memory leak, then it is useless.

Many desktop modding tools available needs the person to have knowledge of programming and scripting to get the proper effect from it. If you have knowledge about programming or scripting then you can use it to get flexibility in creating changes for even the smallest detail possible. But if you don’t have knowledge of programming and scripting, you will have to depend on the presets provided in the software itself. So see which modding tool suits your style and then jump on creating the themes for your desktop. You can try Rainmeter as it provides best desktop modification options.

Check the resolution of the desktop to which certain desktop modding tools works properly. Nowadays, many people use multiple monitors as well as single monitors of different sizes. So if the modding tool you have chosen is good for your monitor or not. It might happen that you might choose a desktop modding tools for a single monitor and it would turn out that it was meant for multiple monitor system. Also if you find such a modding tool, it is recommended to avoid it. The mismatching resolution settings can spoil the desktop looks rather than beautifying it.

If you need to use the Xbox 360 or Playstation 3 controller regularly for gaming on your PC and the controller is connected to your computer regularly, then check if these controllers are compatible with your chosen desktop modding tool. These won’t be mentioned in the manual for the desktop modding tool or website of it as it might happen that the modding tool was developed by an individual and he had not tested these controllers on it. So if you want to use other controller on your PC, then straight away test it and then proceed with further modifications. Also see to it that all buttons are being accepted properly by the modding tool you use. It might happen that, though the tool you are using may provide proper control; one or two button might get disabled.