There are many users who would want to Recover HP Compaq Hard Drive by using base.win file. I just did the same on my laptop successfully hence though to share so that it can help others users as well. Here are the steps you should follow but keep in mind that this is really a hack-tick steps. It can be done by ADVANCED USERS ONLY.

Step1: You need to download and install 'imagex' utility and WIM driver from here.

Step2: In this step you will have to install WIM driver. Follow the below steps do do the same:
  • Go to "C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools"
  • Open the folder which will match the architecture of your operating System
    • 32-bit = x86
    • 64-bit = amd64
  • You should right-click on "wimfltr.inf" and choose "Install"
  • Restart

Step3: In this step you will have to add the WIM tools folder to the PATH you have provided. For doing this follow the steps given bellow:
  • First you will have to right click on My Computer and in that go to Properties.
  • Click on "Advanced system settings" and select "Advanced" tab and press [Environment Variables].
  • Now you have to click on “PATH” under "User variables for {username}" and in that click on Edit. Now in “Value column” you have to add (;C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\x86) without brackets and if you are using 64-bit Vista then you will have to add (;C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\amd64).
  • After doing all this you just have to click Ok.

Step4: You have to insert every Recovery DVD and then go to preload folder and search for BASE#.WIM file (# means any number) Now you have to copy all the files in a folder. You should follow this step in all the DVD’s.

Step5: Now you have to go to "Command Prompt” and go to the folder where you have copied all "BASE#.WIM" files.

Step6: Now you will have to run imagex command to get the split WIM files into one single file:
Code:
imagex /export /ref *.wim base.wim 1 exported.wim "exported"
Step7: You have to make a directory to mount the image:
Code:
mkdir exported
Step8: Mount the image:
Code:
imagex /mount exported.wim 1 exported
Step9: You can open "exported" folder and explore all the files.