Thread: How to Remove S.M.A.R.T Data Recovery Virus

How to Remove S.M.A.R.T Data Recovery Virus

Following are the steps that can be used to get rid of S.M.A.R.T Data Recovery virus. I had been hit with this virus recently and tried ample of steps to wipe it out completely. At the time of surfing whenever you receive any kind popup related to virus cleaner or data recovery do not click on that. The smartest fake antivirus I had noticed last year. A popup appear on the screen saying that my system is infected. It shows My Computer windows and scanning process of virus. Later on it shows a popup windows where around more than 100 virus were listed. On investigating I found that it is a flash file. In this way innocent users get infected with virus. So the first thing to ensure that your popup blocker is one. Second you have a good internet security installed in your system and keep your browser up to date. Older browser has security bugs which are fixed by every latest update. It is recommended that you must not click on any popup on your screen. If a popup blocker is on you will not see any of those thing. Now if you are infected with S.M.A.R.T Data Recovery virus then this article will help you to get rid of it. Along with this I had also listed some additional steps to avoid more fake antivirus. It is not easy to remove this. You need to first find what files associated to this are installed in your system. Second they modify your system registry. Tweaking that might be risky which can generate other error. So for that purpose I always keep a backup ready. Third this type of virus when expand they disable system restore service. Because of which you cannot restore your old settings back. I had gone through a number of website, which showed no solution to remove this infection. But accumulating data from various places has helped me to right this article.

To get rid of that you need to understand what this virus actually do. This virus is a kind of fake tool which is used for disk defragmentation. The virus enters your system and popup messages that your system is in critical condition. Later on it will also provide you a solution to purchase an antivirus. So in short it can be a kind of marketing tool used by companies to increase their product sales. You must stay aware of such. This virus comes in many versions. Like data recovery, system restore, etc. The virus when enter your system is automatically configured. It can consume large amount of your system ram and also show error that your disk has bad sector and then ask you to buy software. Do not purchase it. To stay on safer side you can start from taking backup of your important file and then going for the troubleshooting steps. Do not believe on any kind of information or offer provided by the virus. Rely on the product which you are using. You can spend some more money to buy a good internet security tool. This infection will also result in browser redirection. You will be redirected to any other website while surfing. It can spoil your existing antivirus because of which it remains undetected. Sometime it might popup fake security warnings on your screen.

Removal Steps:
    • Go in Start Menu and see if you can find any link related to this fake tool. If yes then in the folder see there is a un-installation utility or not.
    • Then Press Ctrl + Alt + Del. In the Task Manager go on Process and then select explorer.exe. Click on it and then click on End Process. Your desktop will disappear. Then again click on File > New > explorer.exe. Hit enter.
    • The files of this fake software lies in your Temp folder. You can run disk cleanup to wipe it out unless it has not modified your file permission. Second the virus runs in the format of random.exe in Task Manager. Press Ctrl + Alt + Del and under processes click on random.exe and terminate the process.
    • Now reboot your system in safe mode. Once you are done with that you will then need to make changes in Windows registry. This is a bit complicated and crucial process.
    • Click on Start > Run and then in the run box type regedit. You can see Windows registry window on your screen. In that click on HKEY_CURRENT_USER. Then click on Software > Microsoft > Windows. Under this look for Current Version > Run. In right box you can see ramdom.exe file. Delete this file. Check if you can find more files similar to it. I will list you some more location where the virus file can be located. Check in CommonAppData. Second check in Start > Programs.
    • Once you are done with that save and do not reboot your system. You will need to remove certain dll files which are associated with it. Open My Computer and press Ctrl + F. In the search box type random.dll. Whatever files you find in the search result remove them one by one checking that you are not going to delete any system files. If you face any error related to deleting the file then it means the virus has modified your file permission. The last option which I will recommend you is format and re-installs Windows.

Tools that can be used to remove S.M.A.R.T Data Recovery Virus

There are number of tools which are available to get rid of this virus. If you do not want to go with the manual process then you can try some of this software and run scan in safe mode. That is quiet safer way. Here you do not require doing any major modification or trying to search the virus file. You can simply run the scan and the antivirus does the stuff. It is for better if you scan in safe mode. As in safe mode minimum applications run which does not affect the scanning process.
    • Spyware Doctor - Spyware Doctor Internet Security is the complete package which is a powerful utility to scan and found spyware in your system. It is very easy to use and it is recommended for such type of infection. You can download a trail of this tool for testing. The cost of this antivirus is Rs. 704. The current version is better. It has a clear interface with number of feature that you always want in an antivirus. It is quiet powerful and easy to use.
    • SpyHunter - SpyHunter is a straight forward malware removal tool. It is an anti-spyware app that offers you complete protection for such kind of threat. It works with other antivirus also. You can simply install this and it will block all malicious threat in your system. The configuration is quiet easy and there are less of things you need to modify. Other than malware, spyware it can also find out rootkit virus in your system. So it short you stay secure from rogue antivirus.
    • MalwareByte Antimalware - This software comes among most popular antimalware present till today. Widely use for malware infection. Download and install this first. Run a full update. Next reboot your system in safe mode and run a full system scan. It will automatically locate the malicious file and block it. MalwareByte Antimalware is one the best tool available today for malware disinfection.

How to avoid such infection:

It is worth to add more here about steps to avoid such infection. Because many time due to our ignorance this virus gets easy access. Anyhow the market is full antivirus. You might be confused what to buy and what not. Other important factor that is required is to check, the antivirus might not consume your entire system resources. I am listing some of the basic steps that can guide you in order stay virus free. Because if such virus enter your system, your system is almost hacked. The malicious file downloads more infection and keeps on adding until your full system is not screwed up.

Windows Update: Many of you are not using Windows Update or simply turn it off. It is not recommended. Outdated software has more security bugs or vulnerability. Because of those bugs the virus maker benefits. They simply send a virus which enters via security hole created by those bugs. So keep your updates on. It is necessary that you run regular security updates and on the same hand keep your antivirus upto date. Do not avoid this stuff.

Firewall: Firewall keeps your system more security by blocking unwanted incoming connection. The antivirus also comes with a firewall. This is mostly recommended when you are in public hotspot. Virus can easily enter your system if firewall is off. A major percentage of people are only infected or face issue because of not using Firewall.

PopUps: A popup appear on your screen and you clicked. That is the place where you do mistake. When you click on it the message on screen will ask you to install some stuff like tool bar or offer you free download. Avoid that. Get a good popup blocker and increase the security level of your system. Do not allow any popup on your screen. Because wise websites do not follow such kind of practice. Upgrade your browser version whenever new updates are available.

Re: How to Remove S.M.A.R.T Data Recovery Virus

As per my experience it is not easy to get rid of those virus. I had tried many steps but still I can see those popup on my screen. The system works super slow. The last option is to format the system completely and install it from scratch. For that purpose I had created a ghost backup. I have a partition from where I just need to run the image restoration and that’s all. I do not require doing any kind of this stuff. My system with all my software is re-installed within 10 minutes. It is right that you must keep your Windows update and firewall on, so that your operating system can survive for longer time period.