Thread: Use iTunes on your Flash Drive

Use iTunes on your Flash Drive

Today I am writing about all you need to do to have an iTunes library on USB Stick or a USB flash memory. This method will run the iTunes program entirely in your storage device, making it easy to manage your iTunes library from any location.Having a specific library on a single computer is a frustrating way to enjoy your music.

What pushed me to write this is my brother buy music from iTunes at work and sync with iTunes is on my home computer. Usually we buy music and go down directly to the iPod, but he is CPA and travels from place to place to audit and never uses the same computer. He loves his music. The solution was to run iTunes from a USB flash memory to manage your music library.Here, I will clarify that how to install iTunes on flash memory and make an autorun file starting your iTunes library automatically with the flash memory and put iTunes on different computers and make use of your music library from any USB stick. Of course this method also works on your internal or external hard disk. This basically works with any mass storage device on your system. If you are looking for a good strategy for managing your iTunes music library, I recommend doing this process on external hard disk at least 120GB. So here we go:

Here's a quick summary for this:
    1. Make an autorun file in the USB Drive
    2. Create a script (batch file) to routinely launch iTunes as of any computer
    3. Install iTunes on your USB Stick
    4. Install iTunes in any computer for running it from your USB

It is worth to mention that this does not get the licenses that allow you to buy music with iTunes, this is a method for managing your iTunes library from one location to multiple computers.

Creating autorun file:

The autorun file informs host computer that what you wish to accomplish while USB device is plugged in computer. This step creates an automatic starter with the one-click iTunes.

Open Notepad and type the following:

Code:
     [Autorun]
        icon = \ iTunes.ico
        open = iTunes_mobile.bat
        action = Mobile iTunes
        label = Mobile iTunes
        shell \ open \ command = iTunes_mobile.bat
        shell \ open = Mobile iTunes
    Save the Notepad document as 'Autorun.inf'

If you want a good looking icon then pay attention to the first line that says 'icon = \ iTunes.ico' and put your. Ico file in the path of your USB drive. If you are interested in a good icon, then delete that line.

Creating the script (batch file):

The next thing is to create the script to automatically run iTunes when you connect your USB memory. You need the XP Service Pack 2 or Vista for this feature to work.

Open Notepad and type the following:

Code:
        September APPDATA =% ~ dp0Application Data
        if not exist "% ~ dp0Application Data" mkdir "% ~ dp0Application Dataset HOMEPATH =% ~ dp0Documents and Settings
        if not exist "% ~ dp0Documents and Settings" mkdir "% ~ dp0Documents and Settingsset USERPROFILE =% ~ dp0
        September ALLUSERSPROFILE =% ~ dp0
        miss starting iTunes
        start \ iTunes_programs \ iTunes.exe 
    Save the file as 'iTunes_mobile.bat'

re: Use iTunes on your Flash Drive

With these two files, the autorun file and iTunes_mobile.bat we are ready to install.

Installing iTunes:

Install iTunes on your PC as you normally do - not the USB memory, while iTunes is installing on your PC go to the USB stick and create a folder as 'iTunes_Programs'.

When installation is finish on your PC the copy all the things from 'c :/ Program files (program files) / iTunes' to the new folder on USB memory in the folder as 'iTunes_Programs'. When you are finished with copying then create a folder on your USB drive with the name 'iTunes_Installer' and Drag iTunesSetup file to this folder.

Mow you are having the iTunes on your computer and have all the things on the USB, run file iTunes_mobile.bat. When you do this then you will find a flash screen and after that iTunes will open a new library. Throughout this process you will get some additional files and folders created in USB memory. Now, all the things must look same subsequent to adding the autorun file, that is the. Bat and. Ico file through the file being executed iTunes_mobile.bat:

Loading your USB memory:

Now your USB is ready to receive content. Select and drag all the files on your main computer, this is to be in this place / My Documents / My Music / iTunes Music / to your USB drive with the same name / My Documents / My Music / iTunes / iTunes / iTunes Music /. The path or location of the file can be different if you've modified a previous Channel Install iTunes. This process can be time consuming depending on the size of your library. Once the copy process is complete, you can run the file iTunes_mobile.bat again, and then everything will appear there. Just double click the file 'iTunes_mobile.bat'. If you missed the valuation of songs (ratings) on your USB drive, go back to iTunes on your PC and run 'Export Library' (Export Library) to create an xml file. In iTunes on your USB memory, executes the 'Import Library' to read the xml file - the assessment of your songs (ratings) should be restored.

Checking the automatic startup:At this point you probably have not disconnected the USB memory. Sign-off USB memory to re-connect the USB and the following window will appear.

When you double click the icon Mobile_iTunes which is listed as the first launch then you will be able to make use of the iTunes library from your USB memory.

re: Use iTunes on your Flash Drive

Installing iTunes on different computers:

Now you are ready to work and use iTunes from a USB stick. This is what you have to do. Connect the USB memory but don’t click on the icon autostart while you see pop-up. Close the pop-up and browse to your USB memory from My Computer. Use the right click on the USB stick and when the menu appears then choose "Explore". Open the folder 'iTunes_Installer' on the USB stick and double click on the file iTunesSetup.exe. Install iTunes on the PC.

After the completion of the iTunes installation, you will have to empty iTunes library I your computer and close the iTunes. Now just click on the iTunes_mobile.bat and when you do this then the iTunes library on your USB memory will be opened.

Now, you are using the iTunes library from your USB drive on some other computer.