Thread: Looking for multi boot setup

Looking for multi boot setup

I haven't found anything definitive of booting more than two operating systems on the same pc within the parameters I'm looking for.

I'm interested in running winXP, win7 and OS X on AMD architecture. I found specific instructions on loading linux, OS X and win7 albeit, within very specific parameters unsuitable for my desired outcome. For one, I have no interest in linux. I see no benefit to running it.

Up until I read that, I was still unsure whether or not you could boot OS X without some sort of apple specific hardware - (seeing as how they are famous for propriety and likely will be heading to antitrust court next).

My desired setup:

1. Each of the opsys's on their own disk
    2. Minimal nitpick install - in other words - I just re-installed win7 on my primary drive and spent a week organizing the drive and getting updates. I have no desire to go through that again.

I really don't see why I can't simply load the additional opsys's on their respective hard drives and use a bootloader program. I need to know which one and how/where to load it. I'd prefer a default win7 bootup with a counter I can set (say, to five seconds) where I'd have that time to choose an alternate boot up OS before it default loaded win7. If not that then a default win7 boot up with a bios interrupt to select an alternative system or something of that nature.

I don't expect to be using XP or OS X all that much. I want XP because it's the last OS that carries legacy api's necessary to run circa 1999/2000 games and I want OS X because I'd like to get a look at and play with game salad. The creators have seen fit to make it compatible with only OS X and smartphones - of which I have neither. I can't say I understand any part of a decision that doesn't support the most widespread computer platform in the world but I'm sure they have some reason for it...

Re: Looking for multi boot setup

It is possible to install more than 2 operating system on a PC. You can install Windows, Mac and Linux altogether on different drives. All you need is a good bootloader which can manage this three operating system at a single time. You just need to find the most appropriate version of Mac operating system to work on AMD. Installing MAC needs to overwrite EFI firmware. Try having a look on the below guide which shows steps for triple boot.
    How To Triple Boot MAC OS X, Windows 7 and Ubuntu 8.10 Linux

Re: Looking for multi boot setup

I did say I was NOT interested in booting linux (unbuntu) at all...
    I already read that threat before posting. Thanks anyway though - I get the feeling from the posts I've been seeing here that most people only read the subject or the first couple of lines of any given post as many replies do not address the actual situation. Kind of reminds me of most tech support. :p

Upon further research I have discovered that installing OS X on non apple hardware is a fairly involved procedure and it has been suggested by multiple posters that there are many software bumps along the road which require a familiarity with apple's operating system - of which I have none.

It also appears that OS X cannot be installed on AMD architecture - which is what I have - (also mentioned in my OP), so I guess I'm going to have to give up on this endeavor for the time being.

ah well...

yoyo is coming out with an app to program android platforms on a windows pc later this year so I guess I'll just have to make do with that.