Thread: Migration Tips for Linux Systems

Migration Tips for Linux Systems

Many time we plan to migrate to some other operating system which is due to either your need for security or learning the new operating systems. Right Linux is found as one of the most secure operating systems found and major companies has adopted Linux as an base of development. I had some tips for that which you can use when you want to switch to other operating system. I recommend you to use Linux at least one time to get use to the operating system. You follow those tips before migration or else you can get engaged in some type of confusion at the start.

This tips are not installing Linux but to deal with the situations that would appear after or before migration to Linux. It is necessary to get through some kinds of tips and topic to understand the working. There is lot more difference between Linux and other operating system. So it better to learn about the file system and other working of the same. Look below for more clear information. There are some key tips for people who consider migrating to the operating system of Linux.

Linux is different and you will probably after 2 minutes start complaining while using Linux. Some say it's not friendly, it is wrong all is that you have to get understanding of some basic working process.

File System and its location. Telling someone that their C: in Windows is easily guessable but forget this in Linux. You are going to see a new type of hard drive partition where there are no limitations of partitions. You are now in / home / members to get working on your stuff. Also the issue of file system is something you should know before migrating. It good to know the convenience of leaving a FAT32 partition to share files with Windows.

Installing and uninstalling programs in Linux. I think this is one of the sensitive issues faced by new users. It is common to understand that .exe cannot work in this operating system. You can here migrate with an enormous number of formats, package managers and front- ends of package managers. You will came across terms like repositories, fonts, etc.

The root is an another factor that may complicate for a new user to understand. The idea of the root and get used to everything is important. You can learn about root in simple term on web and get better understand. This is just the core part of your operating system.

Now everything you do will be in graphical environment and you can also do the same with command line. I will advice you to get use to the command line process of Linux so that you can troubleshoot problems in Linux at more core level.

Re: Migration Tips for Linux Systems

I am using a linux system and the first possibility that can come to everyone who are new to Linux is setting of the user rights. By this way you can access, view of the files already on NTFS partitions and copy only the data on the same. As these user rights are assigned to and you can use it properly. I will advice you to learn about the user rights of Linux based system so that you can get use to it. Or else wile certain setup or update you will face issues.

Re: Migration Tips for Linux Systems

It is correct to say that when you are migrating to other system then you must probably get information on the same. Linux system today's are more equipped and are much better in comparison to the current operating systems. You get all stuff in your systems like a cd/dvd burner, a media player, web browser, etc and all other stuff. And even you can get a good antivirus for the same but the Linux system are more secure and they are not insecure.